1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

pedal/effects in front of an all-tube head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by denton57, Dec 24, 2006.

1. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    I was just wondering...who uses a pedal or an effect in front of an all-tube head? I dont, but was curious to know who uses what and why? :)

2. Well, since I changed to all tube I'm no longer using my OD pedal. For whatever reason, I cannot seem to dial in a usable sound on my ODB-3 with the tube head.

3. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I'm using a Sansamp RBI in front of my Mesa 400+,
    because I like the way it sounds, and it helps even out
    the string to string volume swings.

The RBI also gives me a great DI tone.

4. I use my BDDI infront of my SVT-II

Mainly because i love a bit more overdrive in my sound, and never play loud enough to get my II to overdrive! And as anderbass pointed out, the RBI/BDDI are great DIs!

5. The fonly time(so far)I've used my D-180 I also used a DOD compressor(for slapping)& a Guyatone tube OD(for switchable OD). I see no reason not to use the same pedals w/tube or SS if they sound good. Of course if it was possible to footswitch between clean & OD I'd likely skip that pedal, but I think chorus, phaser, etc should work great through the glass. :bassist:

6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    You were able to get a usable tone with the ODB-3? :eek::eyebrow:

7. dumeril7

dumeril7

Oct 21, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Not all amps will take to a particular pedal the same way; in fact, some combinations are downright crappy sounding. But that said, there's nothing special about tubes amps that categorically make effects unuseable or undesirable. Heck, guitarists use effects with their tubes amps all the time.

D7

8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +1

9. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I use all my effects in front of my QuatraValve. Distortion, wah, and chorus. When I get my multi-effects unit back up it will be used with it again.

10. Nope. The ODB-3 seems to be absolutely useless with my YBA200. It just destroys the tone and even a little bit of drive sounds buzzy and just lousy. I'm either going to look for a different OD pedal or just use the head (although it doesn't do a fuzzy tone at all).

11. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    No, I mean you were able to get ANY kind of usable tone AT ALL with it with your previous setup? The ODB-3 is one of the worst pedals EVER, that's what I mean.

12. bassboysam

bassboysam Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I love my Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive infront of my YBA-3, but te same pedal is average at best when I use my 300 PRO. So it really depends on the amp and pedal. Some combinations are good some are kind of crappy.

13. i use an all-tuber (aguilar db359) and use envelope filters, wah pedals, overdrive, and fuzz.

i love effects and i love tubes. naturally, i make them work together.

14. LOL! Okay, I got you. Yes, into my old Peavey TNT100 it was fairly decent and I had a good sound. In front of my Traynor though... sounds lousy no matter what I do to that pedal.

I'm thinking a Sansamp for OD tone. What say you?

15. I use a GT-6B for all kindsa FX in front of my 400+ and the amp only enhances the sound.

16. throw_this_away

throw_this_away

Mar 30, 2006
    I use a fulltone bassdrive infront of my YBA200 sometimes and love it. My boss ODB-3 sounds ok, but I don't find it as practical in a live situation as it guts out the lows.

17. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    I used an SIB Varidrive tube distortion in front of my SVT CL. I used it to add "just a bit" more grind to the sound. You gotta turn those amps up really loud otherwise. Then I discovered the Sansamp BDDI & I can get that sound I like through any amp now. :bassist: