1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

pedal for a thicker reggae sound

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Rycebag, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Rycebag

Rycebag Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2008
    so im playing in a friends reggae group on and off and im looking for something to give my passive lakland a little or more thickness to get that dub sound. alot of people i know use the aphex xciter but i just stumbled on the xotic bass booster looking here in the effects forum and was wondering if that would be a pedal for me to consider using other than the xciter.

2. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Maybe a low-pass filter? You'd be able to add a bassy hump using the resonance control.

3. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    This one is easy...Bass Xciter.

4. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    What kind of reggae? Old and dirty or new and huge?

I'd suggest a really fluffy vintage tone box, EQ pedal, or tube preamp.

'that dub sound' is usually not the bass guitar, it's in the mixing and space.

5. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    if you don't have them...Flatwound strings

Aj

6. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    +1.

A lot of the newer guys use filters or subharmonic gear to add or emphasize the low end. Earlier stuff typically depended on recording techniques.... e.g. Jah Wobble used to aim his cabs right into a brick wall and put the microphone out in the room behind the cab, so all it would pick up was the low end.

7. Rycebag

Feb 22, 2008
    more on the new and huge side. i some times use the guitar players bass which is an active fender jazz. since my lakland is no where near as loud as that thing i was just looking for a pedal that would help to give it that boost.

8. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    What kind of lakland? What strings?

Aj

9. the dod fx-25 is the secret weapon for a deep, dubby sound. set it so that the filter never opens... .instant deep, organic bass.

This is what Bill Laswell uses.

better yet, you can get them for about $25 used.

10. Rycebag

Feb 22, 2008
    skyline joe osborn with flatwounds

11. debassr

debassr

Jan 23, 2008
    Boston
    Turn down the tone on your bass, turn up the bass on your amp, use flats, play near the neck, try some palm muting techniques. Besides the strings, all those things require no money and will probably provide better results than any pedal.

12. +1 to flats
    +1 to an envelope filter set low
    +1 to palm muting
    +1 to turning down tone
    +1 to playing towards the neck

Edit:
    +1 to a 4x15 and 2x18 cab (thanks rcubed, I can't believe I forgot! lol)

In no particular order. Mix and match to taste. :)

5sg.

13. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    You forgot to add playing through 4x15 and 2x18 cabs. ;)

:bassist:

14. MickMichaels

MickMichaels

Jan 16, 2008
    + 1 great thick bottom end.

15. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

I know this will sound a bit untraditional..

Find an old dubber and have him show you how.

It's all in the setup and touch.

16. Rycebag

Feb 22, 2008
    i dont think im looking for a filter just something to fatten the bass. anybody have clips of the xotic bass booster or the xciter

17. See, you're thinking of it all wrong - don't think of the fx25 as a filter... because that's not how you use it. You set it so the filter never opens. it basically fattens up the bass & gives it that creamy dub sound.

believe me, I play in a dub reggae band.... it's my thang :)

18. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    Yep, fx25 with the sensitivity at 0, so it is filtering out the highs and resonating the lows-- just filtering it, no enveloping. There is no bwah or anything going on, just a huge round subbed out dub bass.

19. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    new and huge, huh...

I play with tapewound strings and get some big thud. Instead of pushing my EQ I try to make sure that sound doesn't compete with itself along the spectrum. The strings help a lot cause I don't want to have to constrict my bass a lot. flats/tapes might even want you to push your highs and upper mids to let the sound of your fingertips gliding over the strings act as the attack.

'turn the tone all the way down' isn't always appropriate if you can make that sound support the rest of the rhythm section.

Don't be afraid to cut a bunch of frequencies cause you're gonna turn it all up anyway since you need to push air.

you might have fun with playing on the frets so your fretting hand acts as a damper if you want to get that mute sound without palming your strings too.

Though Most of your tone will be in touch and amp setup you might like a bit of reverb/delay on your bass from time to time but realistically, that big bass is big sound not big effects.

Envelope filters, deep slow (or notched) phasers, and octave have their place but will never substitute for great clean, even if it does crackle and slop around your space.

my BMS' filter section really lets me tweak that big fat bottom. Though they're not $25, they can be the keystone of an effects setup for dub/DnB/groove.

If you can play your lines high on your fretboard...yummy round shorter scale.

20. meekee73_2008

meekee73_2008

Feb 20, 2009
    my two cents here: if you mean something near to a "dub sound" then i'd go with the following setup:

a Fender P (or similar) with tone way cranked down

a hint of OC-2 (no oct2, only oct1 at, say, 10 o' clock)

a hint of "ambient" (maybe just a little of CEB-3 here)

Michele