1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

pedal for heavy distortion?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Pete528, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Pete528

Pete528

Aug 13, 2007
    hi everyone,

i am looking for a bass pedal that will provide very heavy distortion, kind of like how a guitar would be.

im not really knowlegeable on bass gear at all, so I don't know what to get.

I am kind of looking for a pedal that will produce a sound similar to the sound that the guy from Death From Above 1979 has on his bass (although I know he doesn't use pedals).

so, any advice for a pedal that will provide heavy distortion? thanks!

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
  3. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I've never tried a Fatman, but I'll second the Landmine.

The Landmine and the Tech 21 XXL Bass Edition are my two favorite heavy distortions on bass. Neither is very versatile though. The Landmine doesn't even have a gain control and for that matter the XXLB might as well not have one either. They are one trick ponys but I like them both.

I didn't like it as much, but the EHX Metal Muff is another to try out.

4. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    The every sample of the landmine reminds me of a DOD FX86 without all the hiss.

5. Pete528

Pete528

Aug 13, 2007
    the landmine one isnt bad, and the price is pretty good. which one should i get, because there are 2 on the website?

is one only for guitar, or should i just get the chorus pedal or what?

6. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Chorus is a very different effect than distortion. There isn't a bass version of the Landmine, but the normal version works just fine with bass, which is a bit of a rarity when it comes to gain (overdrive, distortion, fuzz) pedals.

7. Digitech Death Metal. I use one on my bass and it's heavier than anything else i've heard. You can't actually control the gain, it's just maxed out the whole time. Also the pedal has a HUGE low end once you've turned the bass dial up so none of your bassiness gets sucked out making the whole thing sound crap.

8. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Metal Muff. Sounds like Mesa Boogie Rectified noise.

9. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    Yeah they are cool [and cheesy, which adds to their coolness], it is the same thing as the DOD fx86 that I brought up earlier. I've had mine for like 12 years. Also it is the same distortion circuit as the Grunge but with the gain fixed on max and the three band EQ. Also as I said it is noisy REALLY noisy, but it also does one cool grindcore tone on bass, so the noise complaint is kind of pointless at that point:D

Has anyone ever compared the new Digitech one with the original DOD one?

If I was to go out and buy a new HEAVY distortion though I'd go with a Landmine or a EBS ValveDrive ect.

10. All the clips/videos of the Fatman I've heard sound delightfully crushing and monstrous.

My only advice would be don't get a HM-2 looking for that sound. Its a cool pedal, great value for money, but with a bass through it sounds more like a synthy fuzz than a heavy distortion.

11. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
  12. the pd7 is good, but id like to replace mine so i can blend a few more things together. its got 3 modes, 'distortion', 'overdrive', and 'clean', but id like to be able to use a knob to kind of blend between them without jumping to extremes

that having been said, i can get everything from a 1980's rock style overdrive to an overbearing fuzz where i hear more speaker vibration than actual sound with it. fir heavy distortion, you cant go wrong with the pd7

13. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    How would the MXR Distortion III do for this?

14. If you can find one an old Ibanez SM9 Super Metal pedal is great. Maxon did the same one for a while too. The pedal has a metal housing that's rugged as a sailor and a the same sound wise to boot...

15. Curtybob

Curtybob

Jun 2, 2007
    Jackson, MO
    I like the Line 6 Uber Metal. 3 different distortions, a noise gate, and the EQ is pretty usable once you get a hang of the scoop thing. It's basically the 4th, 5th, and 6th channels on a Spider II, but in a pedal.

16. godspeed68

godspeed68 i'm here for the sound Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    No one has mentioned the Fulltone Bassdrive yet.

Won't gig in Guzzlemug without it.

17. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass

well thats because the OP asked for heavy distortion :ninja:

18. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Lol @ Bassdrive for heavy distortion. :)
    I haven't used the III, but the old Distortion II is a very smooth, creamy, 80's lead guitar sound- it's really nice, but not "heavy" or rough like DFA's tone.

19. pompompom

pompompom

Dec 31, 2003
    Boss HM-2