Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pedal for Metal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nubahc, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Nubahc

Nubahc

Sep 12, 2005
    Toronto
    I'm currently renting the Boss ME 50B which is amazing, but the only effect i really use is the Metal setting. Does anyone know of a good pedal for playing grindcore type metal. something a little more compact. (the boss me 50b is huge)

2. Distortion, and a whammy I think, maybe a wah pedal if you really wanna try something new. Basically any distortion and modulation effect that can be controlled by a footpedal would probably fit grindcore.

3. I'm gonna go with fuzz...zvex woolly mammoth, shin-ei companion (fuzz or fuzz wah), EHX Russian Big Muff (Green), or the effector 13 improbability drive (very very dirty...NIN style all over it)

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Fuzz. Simple as that, try an Electro-Harmonix Big Muff. If you decide overdrive is your thing, check out a DOD Overdrive 250.

5. bassontherun

bassontherun

Jul 9, 2005
    I like the heck out of my Boss Metal Zone (MT-2). However, it does tend to roll off the lower frequencies. I use it exclusively for our songs with grinding, metal bass intros. Pretty much gets lost in the mix once the whole band kicks in. Once I'm done with the intro, I kick back into clean mode. The Metal Zone shines when you want to use the bass the same way you'd use a 7-string rhythm guitar.

6. Flea666

Flea666

Apr 21, 2005
    Lichfield, UK
    i play in a metal band, and i use, an overdrive and flanger thats all.

7. check out fulltone bassdrive

TRUST ME!

8. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    the hartke bass attack seems to be associated with a metal sound quite often, but i havent used it personally.

9. Nubahc

Nubahc

Sep 12, 2005
    Toronto

Dude, the mammoth is a must have, a) cuz it's exactly what i'm looking for and b) cuz it looks freakn' cool!

http://media.zvex.com/mammoth.mov

10. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I see in your profile you're playing a P-Bass. That should do OK with the Mammoth. If you do some research on here about it, you'll find that it doesn't like active basses that much, but you should be just fine. Maybe you'd be interested in something like the Real Tube Tube Driver, as well. They can be found cheaper than the ZVex and get pretty nasty, IMO. Thier only feature that some may consider a drawback is that they won't take batteries.