1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

pedal for octave-up and octave-down

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jazzbasser535, Mar 29, 2006.

1. jazzbasser535

jazzbasser535

Feb 25, 2006
    Where can I get a pedal that'll make my note go an octave up (for guitar simulation) and an octave down(for 5-string simulation)?
    Thanks

2. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Digitech Whammy

Electro Harmonix POG

Electro Harmonix HOG

The POG is nice (but expensive), the HOG looks awesome (and priced accordingly) and I've not tried the Whammy (but plenty of folks swear by them).

3. best octave-up-in-place-of-guitar is the unibass. (contact me if you want one...shameless plug)

The POG (& a few others) do both, but in my experience, the octave up sounds terrible.

4. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
  5. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
  6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

[​IMG]

7. dumelow

dumelow

Feb 8, 2006
    England
    haha what the **** is that?

8. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    Pearl Octaver
    Ibanez OC10 (I know it does octave down, and I think it does octave up, it's been awhile since I had mine...)
    Foxrox Octron

And everything else mentioned in this thread so far.

9. 4x4Given

4x4Given

Jul 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    What about the Octabass?

10. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I haven't tried the POG or the EXAR pedal, but I have tried the Octron, OC-2, OC-3, EBS Octabass, EH Multiplexor. For tracking, the Octron is pretty much the best IMO.

For octave up, I've only had experience with the Octron - which I've used only on the first day I got it. :D

11. I'd sure like to hear one. Jazz, don't tease the unacknowledged, :smug:.

12. down only.

13. Jazz Ad

Sorry guys I have tried other nice pedals from Exar but not this one.
    I just know it exists and fits the requirements of this thread.

14. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I've got the Exar, it's cool but not amazing. The Boss PS-3 is pretty cool. I use the Digitech BHM4 rack unit for all of my octaving and it even beats my Uni-Bass and V-Bass, I love it!

In general octavers are not good for truly simulating a 5 string (note does not sound exactly the same but lower), but they still help you cover the territory (i.e. you can stomp on the effect and play an open D for good lowness, but it's not the same as a low D played on a B string). As far as simulating a guitar, units that let you program 5ths or other intervals are good because guitarists like to play chords.

15. I've got a Octbass comin' in... can't wait. I'd go for a POG!

16. klorence

klorence

Nov 21, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
  17. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Sounds pretty nice.

18. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    OK - nice, nice...

What I still want a straight answer on is THIS: Isn't it true that on a bass especially, the 'Octavia'-type of up-octaver does NOT come-out as a solid 'octave being played at the same time', but is rather a harmonic-y, sort-of nebulous, psychodelic 'voice' or whatever that sort 'grows' out of the original note?

What I mean is that I believe talking about the response of 'octave divider' and 'Octron' are quite different things - right? It's like the OC-2 or whatever - glitches-and-all - are made to give a solid, definate, discrete sound (as well as the Whammy or POG, for octave-up..); the octron-types DON'T -- do they? As far as I know, the general rule is that the higher of a note you play, the quicker, and more 'pure' the octave-up note sounds - and that lower and lower notes put more delay on the development of the octave and give a less pure, distinct octave.

Isn't this true? ..Or are Octron owners getting straight, fast-tracking up-octaves?

Joe

19. MastaBassist10

MastaBassist10

Mar 9, 2006
    The Whammy, I'm getting one for my birthday and when I tried it with a bass at Sam Ash (I'm getting it mainly for my guitar, but I thought I'd try it just for kicks), it sounded great. It also has a harmonizor (sp?), whammy bar dive-bomb sim, de-tune, and a simulator that will make your instrument sound like it's tuned a step down. The only real reason this is my favorite is because it has a built in expression pedal.

20. Jazz Ad

I tried this baby. Really impressed.
    [​IMG]

Octave up sounds just like a Unibass. Well defined and very 8 string like.
    The octave down is growly and powerful, never muffled. If farts badly under the G on E string though.
    Tracking is perfect in the higher range, a bit hard on the 5th string.
    When you mix them all you get a rich, synth-like tone.
    No chords. Doesn't work. Arpeggios tend to chase each other on the 3 octaves, in a very musical way.