1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pedal for rage/audioslave distortion covers???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kmk42019, Feb 29, 2008.

1. kmk42019

kmk42019

Aug 14, 2006
    Baltimore
    Just looking for a pedal to somewhat closely cover the overdrive/distortion from Tim C. for a couple songs our band is going to play by them. Any suggestions? I have a blowtorch on the way, will that come close?

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    [​IMG]

3. kmk42019

kmk42019

Aug 14, 2006
    Baltimore
    I searched, just looking for a few ideas...I know it gets talked about a lot around here.

4. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    And you didn't see anything? :eyebrow:

And you didn't notice the dozens of Guv'nor references and numerous other suggestions? :eyebrow:

And you didn't even notice one of today's threads that caught my attention? http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=410862

On a side note... I doubt the Blowtorch can get even remotely close. I'd be happy to experiment with it for you when I get home, but I've never thought if it as being capable of that sound. It's the wrong pedal for the job, by far.

5. kmk42019

kmk42019

Aug 14, 2006
    Baltimore
    I saw the Marshall pedal but I think I read that he used an older model that is hard to find. Thanks for the link to that Hendrix fuzz. Sounds very cool.

6. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    Tim Commerford has used different distortions over the years so I guess it comes down to which songs you want to cover.

I have an original Marshall Guv'nor on eBay right now if you think you want to go that route. Tim used it for the first one or two Rage Against the Machine Albums. Check it out:http://cgi.ebay.com/Original-Marsha...ryZ41416QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The Hendrix Classic Fuzz is as close as anything I've found for the nice fuzzy Audioslave era sound. When I get the time I'm going to see if I can copy the fuzz/wah sound with my 105Q. But something to think about: I don't think you're going to come anywhere near Tim's later sounds without a passive Jazz Bass and an Ampeg amp.

7. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Yeah, this has been talked about a lot. But, two things to consider are that:

(1) His sound did change a fair amount. Compare the first Rage album/Evil Empire/Revelations. Noticeably different.

(2) Regardless of the dirt pedal, a two amp set up or a blend pedal are necessary to cop his tone IMO.

8. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Things you'll need:

-Passive Jazz
    -Sansamp or Behringer clone for tube emulation
    -105Q
    -JH Classic Fuzz
    -Some kind of OD or Distortion - I like the Ibanez PD7
    -Blend pedal