Pedal for samples

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by b-bottom, Aug 27, 2021.

Tags:
  1. b-bottom

b-bottom

Dec 18, 2006
    Knoxville TN
    I'd like to throw a few samples into our live set and I need some suggestions on the best and easiest way to do it.

We're a three piece rock band. I play bass as well as vocals. So I'm looking for something that can be activated with my foot and is......and I can't stress this enough......will sound good and is really really easy to operate.

I have an akai mpx16 that I'll sometimes use at practice. But I'm doing this with my fingers.

I've been reading that the akai can be operated with a midi footswitch. But to be honest I know nothing about midi. And I'm not 100% confident in the durability of the akai because it feels like a toy.

Does anyone make an all in one pedal that you are able to load samples into? Something similar to a drummers sampling pad.

So I would love to hear some advice from those who know what they're talking about with this stuff. Thanks!

2. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    I’ve been using a DigiTech JamMan Stereo for several years. Load up the files, trigger with my foot. 1ABAFF31-07BC-4A67-B79B-B00AF5D99E46.jpeg
    I convert my samples to mono and just use a single 1/4 cable back to the PA. Simple and effective for what we do.

3. b-bottom

b-bottom

Dec 18, 2006
    Knoxville TN
    I'll definitely look into this. Thanks for the suggestion

4. b-bottom

b-bottom

Dec 18, 2006
    Knoxville TN
    Do you need to turn the knob every time you want to go to a new sample? Or can this be done with your foot?

Goatrope likes this.
  5. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    Nope. The loop up/ loop down buttons increment through your loops. I keep a little cheat sheet with the sound clips and their corresponding number (that appears in the display).

b-bottom likes this.
  6. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    My singer/guitarist used to use the Boss RC5 looper for this.

7. b-bottom

b-bottom

Dec 18, 2006
    Knoxville TN
    that's good to know and you're really selling me on this thing. :)

Is there anything funky with the software or is it a pain to load the samples on to the pedal? I noticed that they haven't made these for awhile and I wasn't sure if the software was buggy or not

Goatrope likes this.
  8. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    Forgot to add:

All of the “files” are .wav. I use Audacity to convert them from whatever into a .wav. Only challenge I’ve had had been making sure my clips are at relatively similar volumes, so it takes a little finesse to get my live set up perfect.

9. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    Yeah man. SW used to be buggy, but it’s very good now. I save my .wav files to a folder, then just import into my JamMan library. Once in the library, I drag them into a setlist on my JamMan.

Arranging your samples in some order, or grouping them together, such as by song, makes life easier live. We do some Pink Floyd, so you can imagine I’ve got a few samples to trigger. :D

b-bottom likes this.
  10. b-bottom

b-bottom

Dec 18, 2006
    Knoxville TN
    Awesome man. Well it sounds like this is the the thing that I've been looking for. Thanks so much for your help!

Cutter8, Basselink and Goatrope like this.
  11. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida

Once you get it, just hit me up if you have any questions. And, if there’s a .wav you need, and I have it, I’ll send to you. :thumbsup:

PaulS, Cutter8 and Basselink like this.
  12. b-bottom

b-bottom

Dec 18, 2006
    Knoxville TN
    sounds good. Thanks!

Goatrope likes this.
  13. drumvsbass

drumvsbass

Aug 20, 2011
    Winnipeg
    This thread is an example of a good online community.

Like, brings a tear to my eye.

14. Unmost

Unmost

Oct 27, 2020
    I tried a JamMan Stereo for a couple weeks for the same intended use. It should have been the ideal solution but the software ruined it all. It is a common complaint from users that the JamManager software is total garbage. Buggy as hell, some days it wouldn't launch at all or crash at every transfer. Combined with the fact that it's a discontinued product, I would be very cautious.

I finally landed on a simple Boss RC3 looper. Only downside is that I have to bend over to switch between samples but it can be fixed with an external dual footswitch.

If I were shopping for a new one, I would probably get the newer Boss RC-5 and FS-6 footswitch.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
    Gearhead17 and Goatrope like this.
  15. Hummergeist

Hummergeist Commercial User

Jul 21, 2020
    London
    Tutorials, reviews, and interviews for Future Publishing.
    I’ve used the Boss RC pedals for this, they’re okay if you don’t need much control. Add a foot switch and you get start/stop/up/down. I used it to play drum tracks. The newer RC5 model has MIDI also.

Gearhead17 likes this.
  16. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Goatrope likes this.
  17. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    No lie.

When I first got mine, maybe 4 years ago, it would be slow to load, freeze, and would require me to do a factory reset before it would allow me to load a new setlist to my device. I got used to fighting it.

About a year into it, all that trouble went away. Now, it loads every time, recognizes my device immediately, let’s me drag and drop files between my library and set lists without issue. I have no idea why it suddenly became more stable, but perhaps there was a software update along the way.

My sole remaining “bug” is that it will sometimes freeze after I transfer the new setlist to the device. It accomplishes the transfer but then I’ll get tired of waiting and just disconnect/shut it down. The verify that files/samples are all on the pedal, and they are.

My laptop is poopiee, and has a bunch of issues on its own, but still I’ve been successfully using the JamMan for years. Of course everyone will have different experiences, and different levels of tolerance for nuisances, so YMMV.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
  18. logdrum

logdrum A person! Supporting Member

I use a Behringer FCB1010 and I have it setup to work with Apple Mainstage. Foot operated

Goatrope likes this.
  19. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Testing this today. On my Mac the Infinity App won't open (tried two laptops, each older 2015 models). The application won't recognize the connected looper and closes immediately. Some googling shows this has been a problem for others. I might email the company about it. It isn't my top priority, so I might just live with it. That said, I would not suggest this device for for the OP's needs.

Goatrope likes this.
  20. b-bottom

b-bottom

Dec 18, 2006
    Knoxville TN
    The jam man stereo showed up yesterday. I should have some time over the next few days to mess with it. I'll let everyone know how it goes :)

PlatoFunFactory and Goatrope like this.