1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pedal For Softer Music

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CBgaragebassist, Oct 9, 2009.

1. I play in a Praise and Worship band and it's slower, acoustic-style music and i just want to add a little something for fills, occasional leads, and just to make things a little more interesting. I was thinking a Chorus pedal, any input or suggestions?

2. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    analogman minichorus with deep mod/ deep toggle is IMO the best chorus around. whats your budget?

3. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Fuzz. You need a fuzz.

A chorus would work fine for a little special addition to your sound during solos and such. I personally kinda hate the sound, but it does add a lushness and fullness to the sound.

4. about $40-$50. probably more as soon as i get a job.

EDIT: checked price for the minichorus, that's what i payed for my amp. i don't really want to pay over $100 for a pedal.

5. I have fuzz. i've used it and it doesn't really work out with acoustics.:p

6. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Then don't try looking at the analogman.

try a used Boss CEB-3.

7. +1 on the CEB-3; I have one, & it's on the subtle side as chorus pedals go. They are pretty common as well- if there's not one in the FS section right now, there very likely soon will be.

8. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Sorted.

9. :D:D:D

i'd get that if it didn't cost more than my amp and main bass combined.

10. Chorus, most definitely.

Maybe some EQ pedal, so you can change eq settings on the fly, for a growlier/mid-boosting tone or, on the other hand, to change to some bass heavy, low, not cutting tone for ballads and the like.

11. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    CEB-3 for a mellower chorus that sounds good and can be found for around $50, give or take a few bucks.

CE-5 for thicker chorus; I haven't tried this one, but have heard only good things. Should be in the same $50 range.

12. +1

I picked up a CEB-3 on ebay for $32, used it at church for a while and it fit in nicely. Like others have mentioned, it's a little on the subtle side but does a really good job.

Another ebay snag, just for kicks I got a Danelectro Cool Cat 18V chorus for $30... I was surprised at how nice it sounds!

5sg.

13. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    The CEB-3 sounds as cold as a baptist minister's daughter. Except Charlotte, she was very agreeable. Cellist too! Oh, a 'cello-playing baptist minister's daughter. Oh yeah! :bassist:

Maybe all baptist ministers' daughters are dirty, I don't know. Let me know if my simile is off-kilter.

14. Tech 21 XXL B is the greatest pedal for softer music. it does anything and everything.

15. theory028

theory028 Really Loud Hamburger.

Jul 4, 2007
    Cedar Falls, IA
    If you want an affordable chorus, you could consider the Danelectro Fab Chorus. It is about $15 or $20 new, depending on shipping. There are a lot of members that are impressed by it. I finally had a chance to try one and it was nice. I haven't gotten one for my board because I'd prefer a more sturdy looking enclosure.

You would do well looking for something in the used market. I've been looking at the Digitech Bass Multi Chorus or one of the BOSS chorus pedals.

16. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph !! Supporting Member

Definitely the chorus...Also, the Boss BF-3 flanger has an interesting setting, sort of a flangy-chorus sound. Settings are, knobs from left to right: manual at 7 o'clock, res : 10, depth: 9, rate: 2, mode on ultra

17. Play a chorus...for the chorus

18. used DOD chorus's go for within that price range all the time on Ebay

The FX62B does the job quite well, a dandy little red chorus indeed