1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pedal for ugly solid state distortion/clipping?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TehRoflCopter, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Hey everyone,

As a practice amp in my room I have a crappy little Crate KX-15 keyboard amp. It's thin sounding, noisy, and has the headroom (or lack thereof) you'd expect from a 15 watt amp with an 8 inch speaker. When I push it beyond a little less than half way up, it starts to distort. It sounds terrible. It's a cool effect though, that I would like to be able to recreate through my nice-sounding Markbass/Eden rig for one or two of my band's tunes.

What's the best pedal for this type of nasty distortion?

2. KsToaDangr

KsToaDangr Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Columbia, SC
    I've got a Danelectro Fab Tone Distortion that I used on a Noise Music project. The Dist knob was cranked all the way up, the EQ knobs were at about 8, and the volume knob was at about 6. Any louder, and it would have started making a lot of feedback, but it worked really well to distort my bass enough that no one believed I was playing a bass.

3. Jester85

Jester85

Feb 9, 2008
    Russia
    I think for soli state type clipping you must choose some fuzz. But the fab tone is realy cool, nasty and fuzzy-type, but this is DISTORTION.

4. speak_onion

speak_onion

Jun 22, 2007
    Queens, NY
    I don't think fuzz will do it. Try out the Boss ODB-3.

5. try the boss turbo distortion, its a tweakable pedal, and it has lots of usable tones, and lots of nasty and crazy ones too. also try the distortion presets on the cheaper multifx (I have a zoom 607...it's not a great pedal, but if you want nasty, then it's got nasty)

for just pure noise, I go LBM->DS-2->ODB-3, then sometimes some modulation in there aswell, just crazy!