1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pedal height (non wah volume)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by King David, Sep 8, 2008.

1. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    I am toying with buliding a pedal board for my POD X3 and a couple of extra pedals.

I want to keep the foorprint as small as possible, mostly because I do not want to log a big thing around.

My idea is to put the POD X3 on a platform above the other stomps. The other stomps would only be partially exposed. I would have just the foot switch sticking out from under the X3. That would mean the knobs and stufff would be under the front edge of the X3 platform. I would rig it so the X-3 platform would be able to swing up and also lock down so that I could tweak pedals.

I want to know on average, how high should I make the platform above the regular stomps so that it does not hit pedals. I have one pedal currently, but I may get a few others, and I want to be covered! Thanks!

2. If you're going off of average pedal size then I'd probably go off of the Boss pedal footprint...which is 59 mm or 2-3/8 inches in height.

3. The tallest pedal that comes to mind is the line 6 tonecore range, they are pretty chunky!

I would find the height of this pedal and add half an inch, to be on the safe side. (half an inch really isnt going to make a lot of difference to the finished article)

Definately go a little bigger than the tallest pedal you find, because imagine how annoying it would be, if you find the "holy grail" pedal, and it is just too tall!

post some pics of the finished article, I'm very interested in seeing how it comes out!

4. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    I will do. It will not be real soon, but I hope to do it sooner rather than later. I have to finish my bathroom.

Does anybody see any problem with this concept?

I am hoping to also fit the power strip under the X3, but it may have to hang out the back under the X3, but I guess a little depth compromise is not too bad vs. the large board I am using now. People sometimes look at bass players funny for using a board. The one I have now is monster big, but iat least works for now.

5. Bathrooms can wait... Thats about the only problem I can see with the whole concept

6. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Wait, you're building a pedalboard with a bathroom?

Build-in a kitchen, and I never have to stop tweaking.

7. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    Well, it took longer than I intended, but I have the thing done.
    I made a change from my original design idea. The original idea had a top level that would open up with a pivot on the feet/legs of the top platfrom. I decided this would take up too much room on the back side of the board to accomodate the rotation of the top platform. I probabpy could have worked out a better hinge system, but I took a different approach.
    I decided to have the top level fixed and have the bottom level be like a drawer. The bottom level slides out similar to a cash register drawer. It works pretty well. I have to be careful to not let the cords get pinched at tha back when I close it, but it works well. It ended up being a little heavier than I intended, but the POD X3 is not exactly light. Add in a pedal or 2, the additional expression pedal, power strip and power supplies, and you have a fairly heavy monster. I constructed the sides out of poplar (lighter, but more durable than pine) and the rest out of 1/2" ply wood. I am going to rig up some sort of sholder strap to help with carrying this dude. Anyway, it saves on the set up time and I can get the X3 in all it's goodness and I can add some of the pedals that the x3 cannot duplicate.
    http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/48/l_45a3a6e94e0d406ea5273cce4119e282.jpg
    http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/33/l_3e999d02569e459383a85afc10c15608.jpg
    http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/3/l_01cb46aeb9644077ba8473a1236fbedb.jpg