1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pedal Like the Warp Function on a DD-20

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Aug 20, 2007.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    So I was really digging the DD-20 till my guitarist stole it but I'm pretty set on the RE-20 now only thing I want that the RE-20 and my many pther delays doesn't do is the odd hold function on the Warp setting of the DD-20.

You use the On/Off as a momentary switch holding it holds notes and then when you play over it, it holds those as well kinda like looping but not quite but I found this very useful or better yet fun :p as when ever I'd built up a drone I could fade it out by releasing the pedal for a moment and starting again.

So is there a stand alone that will do this as it's more then your average hold pedal.

Cheers

2. hoerni

hoerni

Jun 4, 2007
    NJ
    You can get a silimar effect out of the DL-4 by using an expression pedal. Just tie the feedback to the expression pedal using the analog or tape sim model and you can build into oscillation or back off to let it die.

I have both the DD-20 and the DL-4, bur I like the features/sounds of the DL-4 more. I think I might have to try the DD-20 again based on reviews around here.

3. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Yeah I presume I can do this with the RE-20 as well but I really like the way this functions and would ideally like to run either it into the RE-20 or the RE-20 into it.

4. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    I assume the warp function is the same on the DD-20 as it is on the DD-6. In which case, all it does is turn effect volume all the way up and turn feedback all the way up. I was actually inspired by this to mod a delay that I don't have yet to have expression control of feedback, then by pressing a switch getting expression control of delay time. I'm currently scouring ebay for a morley wah to house it in as well as either a DD3 or digitech digidelay to do the mod to.

5. You should try to check out the SIB Mr. Echo. It has a feature they call "slam" that uses a momentary switch to increase the feedback and decrease the delay time. The new "plus" version has a control to dial in the slam feature's response. The new version of their Echodrive pedal has this feature as well, but the tube stage in the feedback line and the pedal inputs add to the price.

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    No that feature on the DD-20 is the Twist one unless I've got them mixed up. Either way the feature does what I've described above holding the delay.

The RE-20 will have that feedback control so I'm covered there.

Thanks though

7. olaff421

olaff421

Sep 29, 2006
    Murfreesboro TN
    I know that the EHX HOG has a hold and gliss function on it. I'm not sure that's exactly what you're looking for, but you might try it.

8. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Sorry you were right I kinda misread and with the post after yours. The warp feature is the same as on the DD-6 but apparently better cos you can pitch shift it. So looks like I'm sold on the DD-6 the boss delay pedal I swore I'd never get because for a little more you can get the DD-20 but hey I'll look for one that looks like it's been run over ;).

Thanks

9. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    What about that SIB pedal?

10. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Different thing I'm asking for ;) this is a hold function kinda not a runaway occilation

11. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Ahh gotcha. In that case I recommend the DD-20. :D

12. It's official! Spanky IS alive and still hasn't revealed the answer to that distortion thread! Or have I just missed it... :help: .

13. damnit spanky, i thought you were killed. dont do that ever again.

jeeze, i must sound like your mother.

14. Sir Edward V

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    So you already got rid of the DD-20, you are replacing it with a RE-20 and a DD-6 now?

15. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Well I bought it for the guitarist and I had had one previously for near a year so wanted to refresh my memory before I decided what I did and didn't need from it since I'd most likely order the RE-20 blind. Though if he doesn't pay me by Saturday I will have it back.

DD-6 I'll probably getting first and wait for a few more reviews of the RE-20 just incase there is something I've missed or the EHX SMM comes out and kicks it's ass.

I've managed to rule out a TC Electronics Nova as well after a friend tried one out.

But I can break it down reasons why I can get the RE-20 now.

My fav delays on the DD-20 were Tape, Analog, Modulation, Twist and Warp. The RE-20 will do the tape and analog type delays with access always available to the Twists feature. It has that modulation aways available as well.

Found I didn't really need presets just as long as I had tap tempo to always set my delay time. Same with the delay screen I mean it's nice to have an indicator but a flashing light or smiley red thing is more useful than some numbers which mean nothing when you are playing with a drummer.

THe looper while great on the DD-20 annoys me, to be honest I love looping music but hate when I have to do it. I find drones much more useful which the DD-6 and my PDS2000 will do in spades.

Only thing I will miss on the DD-20 is the headphone out as it sounds great when using effects so I don't have to hook up my amp when I want to jam as my little Korg PX4b when bypassed sounds awful and lifeless and I don't really want any additional effects afterwards but what ever.

Hope this helps anyone in making a choice

16. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Possibly leaning to getting an Analogman Modded DD-6 with Hi-cut switch and maybe an exp jack but I don't know what I'd have it hooked up to probably time so i could pitch shift the warp function with out bending down but I don't know if the DD-6 warp mode is momentary or latching so not sure if it's physically possible to hold the DD-6 down with one foot and move a treadle with another foot.

I need to buy another leg

17. Sir Edward V

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    for the DD-6 warp you hold it down as long as you want it on

18. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    No, she's more of a screamer. :ninja:

Tone In Progress, makers of the "Third Hand", revealed at the 2008 NAMM show that they will be releasing a new product, the "Third Leg". It's essentially a long adjustable strut which connects from your pedal's momentary footswitch to a neck brace; you control the on/off function of your pedal by jerking your head from side to side. The basic neck brace features two joints for dual/parallel control of two struts to two pedals; the deluxe model will feature eight strut joints.

19. Sir Edward V

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    hahahahaha :D

20. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    AFAIK you can just twist the RATE knob of any pedal.