Pedal Line Up Question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Pearldiver, May 25, 2005.

1. Pearldiver

Apr 30, 2005
    Hey TBers. I'm in need of advice.

I'm currently the bass player in a theater production. My musical director is wanting to spice up certain parts of the show and asked me to consider using some effects in my rig.

Between a couple of new purchases a couple of old favorites I currently have decided on four Boss pedals. Tuner(TU-2), Chorus(CE-2), Delay(DD-6) and Limiter(LMB-3).

The core of my setup is Bass > Tuner > DI > Amp.

I'm of the thought the new chain should be Bass > Tuner > Delay > Chorus > DI > Amp. My questions are.

1. Where in the chain should the limiter go? Before the Delay and Chorus or after?

2. Should I split the signal from the Tuner and have a clean signal to the DI and just have the effects in my amp?

Much thanks in advance.
  2. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Bass -> Tuner -> Chorus -> Delay -> Limiter

Switch the Delay and Chorus. Delays should come last in an effect chain, unless you have reverbm which should always be last.

I'd look at the CEB-3 over the CE-2. I've tried the CE-2 on bass, and found it wanting. The CEB-3 is more expensive, but is designed around keeping the low end, while adding lush chorus.

Use the Limiter last to "protect" your amp.

I'm assuiming that you are in a pit. If you send clean to the PA, the effects aren't going to be heard in the audience.

Also, if you use the DI before your amp, you aren't going to get the sound of your pre-amp. That's a GOOD chunk of your tone that you will lose.

You don't mention what amp or DI you have, so I'm making some assupmtions here.

I run the DI between the pre-amp phase of my head and the power amp phase, as the SVT-3 has those outs.

Alternately, you can run it out of an effects loop. If your amp has neither of these features I guess you are stuck! If you don't have these features, stick the DI after the Limiter.
  3. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Seriously consider loosing the LMB-3 I found it was really really hissy.

If you're after compression or limiting look at some of the more expensive units such as the demeter, ebs or anybody but boss.

Personally I'd stay away from boss for effect, the tuner is very good but there is better for the other things.

I have something similar set up as one of my channels on my effects rig and you might want to see if you can find something like this.

Dano Cool Cat Chorus (preferably 18v version),Line 6 echo Park, to ebs compressor to di with the tuner run from the di parallel out.

But the tuner can go pretty much any where I suppose closest to the beginning would be best but bare in mind, that the boss isn't true bypass, its a very good bypass and I can't hear the difference but you might find you do.

Hope this helps
  4. Pearldiver

Apr 30, 2005
    Drat. I knew I was leaving some infomation out. My apolgoies.

The amp is a Peavey TKO-75 combo I bought used 14 years ago and I love it. It has both the classic "grunt" when it's pushed as well as a nice midrange sound that cuts nicely through a full band sound.

I use a DI because the pre-out on the TKO is eternally fried. It's moot as I run the eq flat which my soundwoman loves me for. Never considered running it through the effect loop. I'll try that at soundcheck.

I usee Boss pedals simply out of brand loyality, and because pedals themselves are nearly indestructible.

re: The CE-2. I got it 15 years ago. It works well for me.

re: The LMB-3. I never encountered hissing with the unit. Then again I use it purely as a limiter. The enhancer is never used.

No pit. I'm up on stage during the show
  5. Ditto. The LMB-3 is fine as a limiter, but as an Enhancer, it sucks. Damn that Enhance knob!!
  6. I've never used a CE-2 or a CEB-3.
    I've got a CEB-2 that is REALLY shweet. as is the DD-3 that I'm using.
  7. I always put the tuner last so if someone stumbles onto a cable and unplugs me I can use it to mute before plugging back in.
  8. eldave777

May 24, 2005
    My only advise to you is to get an Aphex Punch Factory compressor. It is a God send!!! Also, I don't see your choice of effects really being all that over the top or anything. Throw an envelope filter in the mix homes!
  9. Pearldiver

Apr 30, 2005
    The DD6 is more than enough. 5 seconds of sampled noise can go a good ways.