1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pedal Longevity - Which Ones Stick?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kevteop, Apr 20, 2009.

1. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Since most of our pedalboards are constantly swapping, I wondered which ones have been constantly in use for longest. In my case I was quite surprised - the three "keepers" have been:

Boss OC-2
    Boss LMB-3
    Boss LS-2

My EHX Bass Micro Synth would've been on that list but I sold it and bought the XO, then sold that again and bought another 24v one.

So it seems Boss are the best pedals on earth. Who'd have thought? :D

(To be fair two of them are "utility" pedals)

2. EBS unichorus
    EBS multicomp
    Digitech BSW
    SABDDI

3. My longest tenured pedal is a Boss LMB-3. After that, the next oldest is my EHX Stereo Electric Mistress. Then comes my Electronix Submarine.

4. I've used my Ibanez synthbass now for almost 10 years. It's the cheapest pedal on my board, but I'm never going to give that thing up.

5. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    My TU2 is the only pedal still around from my board's first incarnation. My Polychorus is the second longest now. I even sold my trust old Small Stone!

6. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    GeminiDrive, B:assmaster Qtron+ combo,

7. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    Boss GEB-7, Boss FV-500H Volume and Fulltone Bassdrive. All been on there quite a while and don't see them coming off soon. Though my current main board won't be changing much anytime soon.

8. boss pedals are definately very long-lasting, but IMO some of them sound awfull. that being said, my oc-2 has been beaten to all hell and is still the best sub octave out there.

my korg g5 is pretty old, has seen a lot of use and never given me any trouble.

and zvex pedals wont break if you throw them against walls for fun. all my other pedals are too new to really judge..

ive had terrible luck with EHX pedals on three occasions, they all seem cheaply made and die very fast. my bass micro synth lasted about an hour.. and i was treating it gently..

9. Geist

Geist

Aug 31, 2007
    1st - Boss GEB-7
    2nd - Ibanez Weeping Deemon
    3rd - MXR Distortion + (replaced a broken OD250)

10. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    Vista, CA
    So far my Small Stone Nano is sticking around.

11. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    My TU-2 is def the longest running, but the 105q is a close second, followed by the BSW. Everything else is relatively new, and seem to be worth keeping.

12. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The old avocado-green FX25 and the Xotic X-Blender. That doesn't mean I like other pedals less, it just means all the others became dispensable to me at some point, and I have never once considered those two dispensable in the years that I've owned them.

13. A lowly DOD Milk Box comp- I've had it for 15-20 years.

14. I've had my 105Q on the board since '98.
    It's never coming off. Just too much fun!

15. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    one of the best bass effect pedals ever.

16. boss GEB-7
    the pedal i now hate playing without - vt bass
    the pedal i shouldnt be playing without - fender tuner pt100 :p
    the pedal which is max fun - 105Q

17. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

I've been using these daily for over 10 years :
    Korg AX-1B
    Boss LS-2

Others that were bought later but never left the pedalboard since I got them include :
    Guyatone TZ-2
    Akai Deep Impact
    Jacques TubeBlower

18. Jr Volume

Peterson Strobe

19. 5stringwonder

5stringwonder

Sep 24, 2006
    Singapore
    The pedals that I've had the longest are an Akai Unibass & E13 Dark Boost. Both are off my board currently though.

20. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    In terms of staying in my rig non-stop without ever needing service and never being "temporarily retired", the award goes to my Ibanez AF-9 Auto-Filter. It's been in my pedalboard consistently since 1985.

I have two Electro-Harmonix pedals that are older than that -- an original 16-Second Digital Delay, and a Talking Pedal -- but the former has been in the shop a lot, and I got kinda tired of the latter & pulled it from my pedalboard about 8 years ago (and then the last time I dug it out of the closet I realized now it needed to go into the shop!)

But that AF-9 has been a real trooper. Actually, now that I think of it, I've had an Ibanez CE-9 Chorus in my rig even longer, like since 1983...but I'm finally starting to tire of it & I think it might get temporarily retired soon, so it didn't occur to me at first. Another real tropper, always works flawlessly.