1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pedal Newbie

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by hairy_walnut, Jun 9, 2012.

1. hairy_walnut

hairy_walnut

May 20, 2012
    Rep. Ireland
    Thinking about adding effects to my sound. Main effect I want at the moment is overdrive but I also want a floor tuner. Have a budget of about 50-60 :/ euro so basically wondering what I would be better of getting? Zoom B1/Zoom B1x (multi effects) or a a seperate Behringer overdrive pedal and chromatic tuner?

2. alec

alec

Feb 13, 2000
    Perth, Australia
    A multi will give you way more options. Need to find one with good distortions. My old Digitech BP-8 is a winner in that regard as it has a tube in it.

3. hairy_walnut

hairy_walnut

May 20, 2012
    Rep. Ireland
    Can't seem to find that digitech in any of the places I'm looking online. Do you you know anything about the zooms? Whats the overdrive like?

4. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    The multifex obviously gives you much more, but are you the kind of person who likes to spend time understanding how to edit the settings and build a library of sounds? If not, the immediacy of a drive pedal might be what you want - especially as analogue drive effects tend to sound better than digital ones.

The drives on an old zoom 506mkII are pretty good to my ears for a cheap digital unit. Maybe see if you can pick one of those up for 15 euros or so? (BFX708 is also good, for a little more). Then if you're happy with it, great; if not, you can use it as your chromatic tuner and for delay/reverb/modulation effects, and you still have most of your money for a cheap analogue drive.