1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pedal order / buffer advice

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by leavetheconnoli, Feb 13, 2019.

1. leavetheconnoli

leavetheconnoli Supporting Member

May 21, 2017
    New York
    hi im building a small board and dont want to comprise my tone and have it suck.

Im thinking of going passive fender >> Ebs comp (truebypass) >> Ehx synth (truebypass) >> TC Polytune (buffered) to amp.

Im thinking max of 22 feet combined quality cables.

Any thoughts appreciated

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Generally speaking you need the buffer with long runs and long pedal-chains. I don't think you've got either here. If you DID you'd want the buffer early in your signal chain not later, so you'd want to put your Polytune first in that line. I personally prefer my tuner last but then I start my signal chain with a buffered pedal (the Cali 76 CB).

Zbysek, HolmeBass, RobertUI and 2 others like this.
  3. I would also suggest running the buffered tuner first but also that you shouldn't have a problem with a board that small and a 20' cable.

Zbysek, Kippo and RobertUI like this.
  4. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    What's a typical symptom of using long runs of cabling, without the buffering?

5. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Loss of high end in your tone.

HolmeBass, soulman969 and Spidey2112 like this.
  6. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    The impedance of the cable, maybe? How long of a run are we talking?

7. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yep. Impedance of the cable and/or any effects between bass and amp. Remember pedals have an impedance load as well.

Zbysek and Spidey2112 like this.
  8. leavetheconnoli

May 21, 2017
    New York
    So I could get away with forgetting a buffer and buying a polytune with true bypass without degradation?

9. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yeah, you could. Or you could just get the Polytune 3 for when you inevitably trade that little board for a larger one.

10. leavetheconnoli

May 21, 2017
    New York
    Thats good lol. Why the polytone 3?

11. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    They don't all have the buffer, right? I've got the original one and it doesn't.

leavetheconnoli likes this.
  12. Make it easy and just get a switcher. The GigRig quartermaster series is awesome and I’ve heard good things about the One Control Xenagama.

13. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    As someone else noted, impedances of other effects' inputs, whether they're on or off, can result in subtle tone changes that aren't cable related. I like a buffered tuner first, as it deals with all of that nicely.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    Spidey2112, Zbysek and rollie 55 like this.
  14. leavetheconnoli

May 21, 2017
    New York
    All very useful info.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  15. BurtMacklinFBI

BurtMacklinFBI Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2018
    Are you planning on leaving the compressor on all the time? If so, that’ll amount to a buffer. Either way, with a pedal chain that short you should be fine even with the buffered tuner at the end. I wouldn’t go with a true bypass tuner, you’ll want at least one buffer. You don’t need one, but since you’re using pedals anyway there’s no good reason not to.

Zbysek and hintz like this.
  16. JohnnyBottom

JohnnyBottom Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    I think, is it true? that if a truebypass pedal is ON then it is now buffered as well now.
    Edit: OOPs answered in prev post.

17. leavetheconnoli

May 21, 2017
    New York
    Yes i will keep always on, it is true bypass also.

18. BurtMacklinFBI

BurtMacklinFBI Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2018
    If it’ll be always on then it doesn’t matter that it’s true bypass, the compression circuit itself will buffer your signal. True bypass or buffered bypass only refer to when the pedal is off.

leavetheconnoli and Spidey2112 like this.
  19. n1as

n1as

Mar 29, 2013
    Unless you're going to have all your pedals bypassed, then you don't need to worry about a buffer. Any of those pedals engaged will be a buffer.

Keep the comp on all the time and you're good.

Keep the tuner last so it can serve as a mute to cut your bass plus pedal hissssss from the mains.

leavetheconnoli likes this.
  20. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Rather than speculate endlessly why not just plug it all together as you described and see what you think about the sound you’re getting? If it sounds good - it’s good. If it doesn't, drop a buffer in there and see if it fixes things.

As someone pointed out earlier, the Polytune 3 stage tuners have built in buffering. You can even turn the buffering on or off. Since you’ll probably want a tuner anyway, that’s an economical way to get a buffer.