1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pedal order for complete newbie w/o amp!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DaLowB-String, Jun 22, 2014.

1. DaLowB-String

DaLowB-String

Jun 22, 2014
    Hello, I'm new here and have a question about pedal order:

Recently I acquired a Hartke bass Attack and a Boss SYB3 Bass Synthesizer. I don't have an amp at hand to test things out right now and would really like to save time fiddling in the studio, so I was wondering how I could set up my current pedals for the best results.

I've read the user manuals and posts around here, and I know a lot depends on personal taste but am I heading in the right direction with the setup below? The synth has 2 outputs (direct/effect out) and the Bass Attack has 2 outputs (parrallel out/line out) and 1 DI output (I don't intend on using this). These output options etc intrigue me, but I'm not sure how they would work, if at all, with what I have.

My current rig:
    Fernandes Gravity Deluxe-5 String > Korg Pitchblack PB01 tuner > Boss SYB3 Bass Synth > Boss LMB3 Bass Limiter/Enhancer > Hartke Bass Attack > Turbo Rat (LM308 mod) > soon-to-be-bought-amp.

I play all sorts of stuff from Rage Against the Machine to Jamiroquai, hence the Rat and synth. The only other pedal I plan on getting is an envelope filter at a later date.

Sorry for the huuuge post, but I'd really appreciate any help!

2. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Don't be stupid. Trying to use pedals you don't know absolutely backwards and forwards in the studio is a huge mistake.

3. DaLowB-String

DaLowB-String

Jun 22, 2014
    Ah, I meant the nearest rental studio for private practice, not with anyone else. It's not close so I'm just trying to save as much time and $ as possible.

4. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Oooooh ok dude that makes sense, I thought you meant recording studio.

5. You thought a newbie who doesn't even own an amp and doesn't know what to do with the few pedals he has was actually going to buy recording studio time?

In the immortal words of M0ses, "Don't be stupid."

6. DaLowB-String

DaLowB-String

Jun 22, 2014
    On second thought, maybe putting the synth after the LMB3 would help with tracking, is that assumption correct?

Fernandes Gravity Deluxe-5 String > Korg Pitchblack PB01 tuner > Boss LMB3 Bass Limiter/Enhancer > Boss SYB3 Bass Synth > Hartke Bass Attack > Turbo Rat (LM308 mod) > soon-to-be-bought-amp.

Any thoughts bass dudes?