Pedal order

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by AllodoX, Jun 30, 2001.

1. bass -> distortion -> multi effect -> amp

8 vote(s)
  2. bass -> multi effect -> distortion -> amp

1 vote(s)
  1. Okay.. need some expert-advice here..

i've got 2 pedals..

1) Korg AX1B multi-effect processor
    2) DOD FX91 bass distortion

My current installment is

Bass -> Korg AX1B -> DOD FX91 -> Amp

but i have doubt.. is it better to distort the signal first, and then equalise it + apply other FX ( phaser, flange, wah, etc ) ??

Or is it better to do the equalising + FX first, and then distort it ?

i've been mocking about with this for weeks now, and i want to know your opinion..
  2. I always put distortion first.

For example, let's say I'm using distortion and a phaser....

If I have distortion running first and the phaser second, the distortion would go through and then some phaser stuff would come in and there would be cool phaser-like stuff.

But if I had the distortion second, the distortion itself would come swooping up and down with the volume, therefore it would be like your running a auto-volume pedal (if that even exists)

and lets say your using a wah...

if you had the wah first, the distortion itself would wah up and down and you couldnt really tell what notes you where playing.

so i always put distortion first. of course if you can make it sound cool otherwise, go for it.
  3. Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I also put distortion first. I decided this after both trying my pedals in different order, and talking with both bassists and guitarists who use effects.

But like Jr. said, if it sounds good do it.
  4. depends on which effects you use most in the multi fx. generally stuff like compression and wah go first, then distortion, then time-based stuff like chorus and phaser.
  5. Id put the distortion first. My signal chain right now goes instrument> Distortion > Flanger > Overdrive. It sounds pretty cool. I think Ill switch the flange and overdrive tho.
  6. Hmm.. after doing some rehearsals with the distortion first, i must agree with you guys..
    it sounds better

thanx !