1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pedal Order?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by moondog24, Sep 10, 2008.

1. moondog24

moondog24

Jun 22, 2008
    I'm putting together a small board and would appreciate advice on pedal order.

At this point, my plan is for the board to include:

Tech21 BDDI
    Tech21 VT Bass
    Barber Tone Press
    Pgitronix EP-1 Envelope Phaser
    AnalogMan Chorus

As a first stab, how's this look:

VT Bass > BDDI > Chorus > EP-1 > Comp

My rationale:

-comp after the EP-1 to tame the peaks
    -I really like what I get when the chorus feeds the EP-1 on my guitar rig (yes, I'm one of those)
    -I like chorus after an OD (again, in guitarland)

I realize that's a lot of Tech21 at the front of that chain, but I like the BDDI for a fat dub-type sound and the VT for everything else.

All input appreciated,

hoby

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    FWIW I wouldn't recommend the Barber for peak limiting. It's more of a gentle compressor. Look for something with a higher ratio.

3. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    I would spend the extra $10 and get a programmable BDDI. I got one and I find myself using the different channels quite often.

4. moondog24

moondog24

Jun 22, 2008
    Understood. I considered it because I have it here already, but I'm finding I don't really need it. The EP-1 doesn't get too out of hand the way I have it set.

I'm a big fan of having "go to" programs preset, but I already have the basic BDDI. I've had it and enjoyed it for years. Now I finally get to use it to add flavors to a real bass rig instead of compensating for lesser grade gear.

Thanks for the input, gentlemen!

hoby