1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pedal Order

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by parker_mysterio, Oct 7, 2009.

1. parker_mysterio

parker_mysterio

Jun 8, 2009
    Hi I just ordered a Boss Bass Limiter/Enchancer and I was wondering where to put it in my pedal line up. At the moment I am running:

Amp>Boss Bass Overdrive>Boss Tuner>Musicman Bass

Anyway i just thought I would get some opinions before it arrives

Thanks

2. ase_one23

ase_one23

Oct 23, 2008
    Glasgow
    it really depends on why you're getting it - are you using it to control spikes from your clean sound or the overdrive? is it going to be 'always on'?

3. parker_mysterio

parker_mysterio

Jun 8, 2009
    getting it for my clean sound and yes it is probably going to be on all the time, just depends on how much i like it

4. BluesWalker

BluesWalker Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2008
    I would try either putting it at the beginning of the end of the chain. If you put it at the end, you will be able to tame or enhance the signal coming from the other pedals. If you put it at the beginning of the chain it will tame or enhance the signal going into the other pedals.

I use a compressor in my chain and I always put it at the beginning (right after the tuner).

5. BluesWalker

Jun 17, 2008
    Another comment: I would put the tuner at the beginning of the chain. By doing this, the signal to the tuner is not compromised by any pedals nor do you have to turn off pedals if you want to check tuning mid set.

6. parker_mysterio

parker_mysterio

Jun 8, 2009
    righto cool, i was kinda thinkin thats where it should go blueswalker

7. ase_one23

ase_one23

Oct 23, 2008
    Glasgow
    i concur:D

8. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    Just plug them in each possible order and see what sounds the best. Nothing will get hurt, it will only take a few minutes, and the tuner will work fine anywhere in your small chain; therefor the correct order is strictly which ever you find to sound the best, and gives you the most options if you like to stack any of your pedals.

Tuner goes first or last usually, so do you want to compress your dirt, or dirty up your compressed signal? See which sounds better and there's your answer.

9. BluesWalker

Jun 17, 2008
    If the tuner is last in the chain and any of the effects pedals are on, you can have problems tuning. The tuning pedal will see the modulated signal and might not be able to lock in on the fundamental.

10. parker_mysterio

parker_mysterio

Jun 8, 2009
    yeah i never tune while i have my effects on so there is never really any problems

11. I usually run my bass into my amp, not the other way around, because playing the amp was kinda hard.

12. parker_mysterio

parker_mysterio

Jun 8, 2009
    sorry to cause the confusion

Musicman Bass>Boss Tuner>Boss Overdrive>Amp

13. What kind of amp are you using?

14. parker_mysterio

parker_mysterio

Jun 8, 2009
    a ****** behringer45watt amp, worst sound

15. try putting it before and after the overdrive. see how it sounds. experiment.

16. I have mine directly after my tuner to smooth my clean sound and then let the effects have their dynamics, to avoid an overly compressed sound, but like ^^^ said, it's best to experiment. You'll gain more understanding into how the pedal works that way.

17. rcarraher

rcarraher

Dec 21, 2008
    BP magazine had a good article about pedal order just a few months ago, go their site and do a search about it. They laid out the logic of how to order the pedals, etc...I don't use but one or two pedals so I don't recall specifics,but, I agree with all the guys that said put the tuner first.

18. We get this question at least a few times a week

While there really is no set particular order for effects, there are some guidelines...(as some pedals may not play as nice with other pedals put in a certain order)

here give this a read...

http://www.gmarts.org/fx-order.php

that should get you started

19. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    Yep this is true, and something to think about if you have a long chain and/or any always-on effects.

On the other hand, if you have a fuzz that does not agree with a buffer(ie Fuzzface), then you may want to put the TU-2 and any other buffered pedals after it, or last, if you want the fuzz to function 'properly' (if you have active pups it doesn't matter either way in this scenario).

There are many reasons for many pedal orders, but the only correct order is the one that works for you and your setup. The best thing you can do is read the FAQ(or one of the many threads on this topic) at the top of the page, take those ideas into consideration, and try all the different combinations until you find what works for you... especially if you only have a few pedals!