Pedal Placement ---- what order??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SuperDuperStar, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Warning!!! this is a guitar oriented question, but I figure that people on here tend to know thier @$%. :cool:

How would you order the following pedals?

Boss EQ
    Boss OC2

This is for one "loop" in a massive pedal board I'm building for my guitar rig. Other loops include, distortions, dealy/reverbs, and chours/phase/flangers. This thing needs friggen wheels it's so heavy.

I do have a Bass Pedal Board in the works.

Ernie Ball Volume
    Boss Tuner
    EBS Octave
    Electroharmonix Bass Balls
    Fulltone Bass Drive
    Boss Bass Over Drive
    Dunlop Bass Wha
  2. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    The OC2 would <i>like</i> to be first in the chain for best tracking. The rest of these don't care where they are. I'd put the wah ahead of the EQ, but there's no real good reason for that. The trem can go anywhere (if you had dynamics processors in here, it would matter more). If it was me --

-- but none of these pedals are very fussy, and I doubt that they'd interact significantly.
  3. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Haven't tried a tremolo specificially, but I'm guessing I'd place it similar to a chorus or phaser ... I've settled on the following for the time being:

* OD/distortion/fuzz placed first (in that order)
    * octave next
    * filter effects next (wah, pedal filters like BassIQ)
    * modulation effects (chorus, phaser)
    * boost (or OD or buffer) placed at end so as to (i) increase volume for solos, (ii) provide good signal to the amp, and (iii) not screw up the input level for any pedals which come after it
  4. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    I try to put my octave as close to the front as possible, seems to track better that way. The rest of the effects can go wherever you like them without any likely side effects. I like my wah last before my DI, but I have no real reason for this.