1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pedal Power 2?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by johans, Aug 20, 2007.

1. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    okay .. did my search .. and still not finding answer yet ..

long story short, i found a SUPERB deal on a used voodoo lab pedal power 2 .. i don't need it yet as of now, but its a price none of you can resist ..

so after reading its manual etc, i am convinced that it only powered 9v right? which i am looking for something that is rather robust and capable of handling high voltage pedals .. like my radial bassbone that needs 18v etc ..

the options are ..:
    - get that deal with pedal power 2, power my Bassbone separately ..
    - get DC Brick that can power 18v as well ..

let me know =) :confused:

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The PPII can power anything from 4.5V to 24V if you get adapter cables and learn the hidden function switches. For example, you would use a special Y-cable to combine two 9V outputs into one 18V source. The only time I have not been able to power a pedal off it was when that pedal had an unusually high current draw.

3. johans

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    hey bongo, yeah i am reading it but still not really understanding how the current all work out ..

btw the bassbone that i have mentioned:
    15V 400mA .. how would you power this?

for the contrast, if i go for DC Brick instead, can i plug the bassbone directly to the DC Brick's 18v plug?

4. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    interesting - sorry to derail but how do you set it up to power 24v, for example am EHX Bass Micro Synth?

5. johans

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    oh actually :) let's use this new effect for clarification ..

9VDC/500mA AC <-- EHX Holy Grail

meanwhile Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 capabilities are:
    - Six 9VDC 100mA regulated
    - Two 9VDC 250mA regulated

how should we plug this pedal? if it is not going to harm it .. :)

6. johans

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    here's what their manual said ..
    18V/24V – Using Custom Cables
    All of the outputs on the Pedal Power 2 Plus (and the original Pedal Power) are completely isolated allowing you to create different voltages. You can run effects like the current MXR Flanger by combining two 9V outputs to create a single 18V supply. By switching two outputs into 12V ACA mode, you can join them together to create a 24V output for powering numerous Electro-Harmonix stompboxes including the Deluxe Memory Man.

------
    however i am not understanding it very clearly at this point too :confused:

7. johans

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA

-----------------
    on second thought .. what if we combine the 2 x 9VDC 250mA output? does it adds up right? or does it become 18V 500mA in calculation? sorry this is still a little confusing for me here :meh:

if that works, i figure probably its quite a waste of power output from the Voodoo 2 i guess (if we have to combine several outs to power our larger pedals) .. i guess for a higher current consumption pedals, we can just stick to their included adapters .. just that it will defeat the purpose of having a multi-power supply, doesn't it?

8. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    It's 18VDC, 500mA maximum in that scenario, I believe.

I don't think you can get 15VDC out of the Pedal Power 2, and there's no power supply of that sort that can do it besides a wall wart. In fact, that's what really bugs me about the Radial Bassbone - its adapter is as proprietary as it gets. I don't know if it'll run well at 12VDC, or 18VDC for that matter. If we knew it did, you'd be okay.

Some pedals work fine at a higher voltage, and some are fried by it. It's a gamble...

9. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Well, you could try using one of the 'sag' outputs. I believe they range from 4v to 9v.

10. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Correct! I would use a multimeter to measure the output of one of the "sag" outputs, and adjust until it was 6V. That way, added to a 9V out, you do get 15V.

However I don't think 400mA or 500mA can be supported in that scenario. That's my one and only complaint about the PPII, is the relatively low available current.

11. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    Ah... I didn't know you could adjust the sag like that!

Wait... wouldn't the available current increase as you decrease the voltage? :meh:

12. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    I think the amperage in this case is a rating of how much juice it can handle before burning out, not a literal description of the amperage going through it at any time.

13. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    I figured that'd be the case, but how does it answer my question? :p

Are the sag outlets rated for 250mA @ 9V, or is that another set on the PP2? I always forget...

14. johans

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    ahhhhhhhh

its a little complex here :)

in that case .. do you all think DC brick might be a much better option?

well they don't have 15v as well .. but plenty of 9v and 18v to play around with .. in that case most of the larger pedal .. might still be better of with their own included adapter right? just .. too much hassle..

15. johans

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    guys,

did any of you have a snapshot of how you combine the outputs (like 2..) from PP2 to power a pedal?

does it mean that you have to use the Y coupler to do it?

16. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    yeah. Voodoo makes custom cables for voltages other than 9 that you can order from them. i've got a 18V and 24V cable that i use.

17. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    There's still the 200watt max. AC outlet on the PP2. I plan on using it for when I get the Micro Pog, which comes with a wall wart.

18. The customer service has been very good when I have contacted Voodoo Labs with questions on my pedal power 2. Shoot them an email and they can tell you what will work and what won't.

19. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    V=IR only applies to the actual flow of electricity, not the rated top limits of the components. So decreasing the voltage does not change the physical upper limits of what the components can handle.

20. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    Ah... I didn't think about the components. Thanks for the info! :)

[Writes Bongomania's name on the "short list"] :ninja: