1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pedal power supply overheated???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BrandonBass, Mar 28, 2013.

1. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    I think I just fried my ciosk power supply after afew years of using. I am just wondering if it is just me, or is it normal for powersupplies to be hot to the touch when switched on for say 2hours straight?

That has always been the case for my ciosk power supply, and I thought it is normal... but apparently not. I tried to turn on my pedals and the power supply was not working at all.

Im thinking of getting a voodoo lab instead, do you think it will make a difference?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Most power supplies will get warm, but when they get HOT you know they won't last long. I've had supplies "go bad" after a few years, and I've had supplies that were hot from the start, and in either case I was not surprised when they eventually failed.

3. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    thanks bongo, what would be ur recommendation for a supply that can last a long time?

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Ehhh... I've heard failure stories about all of them. I used a Voodoo PP2 for several years with no trouble, and sold it for some reason; I replaced it with an ISO-5, which runs a bit hot, so I have my doubts about it. Some people have been lucky with even the cheaper mass-market supplies, so it's not always about brand or price.

Real helpful, eh? :)

5. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    Sounds like you are drawing too much power from your power supply.

6. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    How long have you owned the power supply? Apparently Cioks have a 5 year warranty.