Pedal Power Supply Recommendation??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by zmebass76, Jul 23, 2021.

1. zmebass76

zmebass76 Makin' bass faces since '92... Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Nederland, Tx
    I have seven 9v pedals that I would like to run in to a single pedal board power supply. I am looking at the Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2+ and maybe the Truetone CS7 right now, but are there any better options for me? Here is what I have:
    Tech21 Sansamp Programmable DI
    Boss TU3 tuner
    EBS Multicomp
    Electro-harmonix Bass Clone chorus
    MXR Bass Fuzz Deluxe
    MXR Bass Envelope Filter
    MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
    None of these pedals require extra juice. Help! Thanks in advance!

2. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    I have a Voodoo Labs ISO-5 and all their stuff is professional quality. So if you have the budget for that, that's what I'd recommend. I don't have any experience with TrueTone/Visual Sound but the company has a good reputation, and it also appears to be a true isolated ground power supply. I'm sure it would work fine for your board too.

3. Inara

Inara Fierce Fun Fretless Female Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Seattle, WA USA
    The Cioks DC7 is superb. You may not need it with your current pedals, but it will handle anything you can throw at it if you ever add more demanding pedals, and it can even be expanded. That said, on my smaller board, I have a TrueTone CS6, and it works very well. High quality, but not much touches the quality and flexibility of the Cioks.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
  4. gh0st42

gh0st42 Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2019
    Colorado
    Cioks DC7

Accept no substitute.

5. SunByrne

SunByrne opinionated intellectual Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Pearland, TX
    For 8 pedals or less, I highly recommend the MXR DC Brick (the M237). Small but built like a tank—I've never had any problems with mine—and decidedly cheaper than either the TrueTone or Voodoo options.

zmebass76 likes this.
  6. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    TrueTone CS7 is definitely a fantastic unit and would do the job.

Cioks DC7 would be a good step up for future expansion, but it costs a bit more.

What kind of pedalboard? If it's a Pedaltrain, then Cioks for sure. You can get the Grip mount and you won't have to drill holes in your board, and that's the reason I no longer use Truetones and use Cioks instead.

I wouldn't look at anything outside of these two for what you need.

Loring, Plectrum72 and zmebass76 like this.
  7. zmebass76

Feb 17, 2013
    Nederland, Tx
    I just have a budget Donner pedal board, but it's small and it works for me. I can velcro the back of this Ciosks if I want to, I imagine...

8. jthisdell

jthisdell

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    I have the Voodoo Labs Power 2+ on one of my boards and it works well. Some of the features are of little use, bass players will never want to use the sag voltage and there are only a couple of higher amperage outlets. I use it on a Pedal Train Jr and have to have a couple pedals doubled. I have a CIOKS DC-7 on my other board. The versatility is great, you'll never have a pedal that you can't power with the CIOKS. I keep thinking of getting a CIOKS DC-7 and a CIOKS 4 to eliminate having to bouble some up.

Plectrum72, Nuage420 and zmebass76 like this.
  9. zmebass76

Feb 17, 2013
    Nederland, Tx
    I looked at this one, but I have read a few horror stories on this one. I like MXR products, though. Sell me this supply! LOL

10. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2001
    Holland, MI
    Just get a DC7 and never think about power again.

Plectrum72, gh0st42, Basslice and 7 others like this.
  11. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    CIOKS is great. +++
    Especially cool because it is expandable and has Voltage options.

Bonus Honorable mention to Walrus because their products have 3 prong 120V outlet also. So if you have an oddball or preamp or board power amp you don’t need a separate supply for that.

Plectrum72, Basslice, BEADG63 and 3 others like this.
  12. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Avoid the MXR.

ColdEye and scott sinner like this.
  13. swrbass5

swrbass5 Gold Supporting Member

Cioks DC7

Plectrum72, gh0st42, Basslice and 7 others like this.
  14. Ive used Voodoo Labs and Walrus Auidio power supplies.
    I would reccomend either.

zmebass76 likes this.
  15. DC in ATX

DC in ATX Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Austin, TX
    One and done:

DC7 – CIOKS

Made for the modern world. Small and light for what it can do.

Plectrum72, gh0st42, DRBP and 5 others like this.
  16. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I have three different Voodoo Labs power supplies on two different pedalboards, and they all have worked fantastically for years.

31HZ likes this.
  17. Erik herman

Erik herman Gold Supporting Member

https://www.amazon.com/ISO-10-Isola...cphy=9003816&hvtargid=pla-1125631528693&psc=1

This is the bomb, bought adapters and daisy chain jumpers to pedal my 20+ pedal board. Individually isolated. Would be way more than enough for your needs. Still comes in as one of the cheapest. Also has the ability to change the voltages on some of the outputs for 18v and 12v pedals, also came with all the cables and quite a few handy adapters

FronTowardEnemy and zmebass76 like this.
  18. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    That looks good for the price but I'd never use it on a gig due to the proprietary power adapter.

zmebass76 likes this.
  19. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I have two Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2+s below my board. I’m totally satisfied with them, so no need to replace, but I’d probably be looking at Cioks if I were buying today.

Plectrum72, Nuage420 and zmebass76 like this.
  20. jeffb28451

jeffb28451

Aug 6, 2006
    Leland NC
    Cioks dc7. I have top end Voodoo, Strymon and another Cioks. The dc 7 is the only one versatile and powerful enough to deal w some of my “ other than 9 volt” pedals.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 20, 2021