Pedal Pre Amp and Power Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Steviewevie95, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Recently, This Christmas to be exact, I received the Darkglass B7K Microtubes Pedal. (Amazing Amazing Amazing Pedal that is an amazing pre and drive) and the Darkglass Super Symmetry (still waiting for it in the mail). My main question is can I run my B7K through a Power Amp (Crown, QSC, ect)? My recording rig right now is just the B7K running direct through my bass. I've read on other (guitar mainly) forums of guitarists doing this. Opinions? Thought? Links to other Forums that answer my question? Anything helps!

2. It would be running into a Ampeg SVT 8x10 Cab is that helps

jimmyjames77 likes this.
  3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

If the pedal is designed to be between the instrument and the amp then most likely it won’t be able to provide the signal voltage needed to drive a power amp to capacity. If that’s the case you’ll need a pre-amp to boost that signal sufficiently to drive the amp. Something like an ART Tube MP.

Steviewevie95 likes this.
  4. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Get a power amp with a DSP, anything can drive it, and you'll get some EQ options in case you need them.

5. So the DSP works as a sort of volume control? (Not a tech guy so this is all very new to me)

6. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    It stands for "Digital Signal Processing". It is basically signal processing. Not all pre-amps follow any standards for signal levels. The DSP equals this out, they have adjustments, they can increase gain if needed. EQ, adjustable limiting, and so on are usually included. A DSP model of an amp usually adds about $50 but soon all amps will come with them built in as they circumvent most of the problems people have from other equipment that feeds and amplifier.

7. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Cort, Traynor
    Hi,
    I saw a post a couple of days ago with a person who used that pre with a power amp and reported it worked well. I can't remember exactly where I saw it but if you do a search you may run across it.

8. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    Out of the various outboard pedal preamps that I have tried the B7K is my favorite as a standalone. Should work great right into a power amp especially if you are into rock/metal genres.

9. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 vaxx! Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2006
    North AMERICA, USA
    Aren't there people who run their TECH 21 VT units into a power amp? I am interested in this- I have a VT Bass Deluxe and it would be cool to run this into a power amp and keep it as a backup rig.

10. BasturdBlaster

BasturdBlaster

Feb 19, 2012
    Crandon WI
    I have the eden wtdi going straight into a crown drivecore 1500 bridged into an 8 ohm 410 swr cab and it works pretty well.

11. I recently was able to try this set up with my drummer and WOW!
    I'm running my B7K as just the Pre Amp through a Crown 1500 into my Bongo with the Super Symmetry and the tone was phenomenal! It sounds silky and full but has a great amount of bite and clarity, like a hybrid between a Mesa Carbine and a GK RB, very solid state sounding but not cold.

My only complaint is that I now need to either upgrade the speakers in my SVT 810E or get a new bass cabinet because the only thing I was noticing was the loss of some tone (Mainly high mids) through the cab (I know I won't get anywhere near as high quality tone as running through a good board) But a high quality cabinet with this set up would produce some heavenly tones! I play mostly Reggae, Rock and Funk and I don't think I'm gonna go back to having a bass head (Unless Darkglass makes one any time soon!)

I really recommend the set up if you can swing it (Grand total it was a little under 1000 for both pedals and power amp) Now I don't have to drop 1500 - 2000 on a new bass head!

12. edwinhurwitz

edwinhurwitz Supporting Member

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, SMS
    I do this with a Grace Design Felix and it's brilliant. Amazing sound (although very clear and clean, not a traditional colored sound.).

13. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    I run a Grace FELIX for upright and an Aguilar Tone Hammer DI for electric through a switcher and into a power amp. Works very well :)

edwinhurwitz likes this.
  14. SickAura

SickAura Let There Be Rock

Dec 8, 2013
    Toronto-ish
    Bumping - to see if anyone is doing this and to see if you are still recommending this solution

I want to run an 8 ohm 1 cab solution and a power amp seems like the best way to get the wattage I need. I was actually just looking at the Crown 1500

In my case I would be using the VMTD instead of a B7K - but same idea

15. It works great, I'm thinking of throwing a Aguilar Tone Hammer 350 / 500 for some more tonal diversity but honestly I love the tone already I highly recommend it!

16. I have a crown xls1000 and a sansamp RBI running through it currently. I am in the process of getting a b7k and I have used both through my crown and it worked flawlessly. Also both crown and sansamp RBI are for sale btw

Attached Files:

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021