Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pedal prices are going insane!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Dec 15, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Some of you may know that I owned almost all of the Lovetone pedals back in the day. I sold them all off, thinking I was done with the 100 pound pedal board (really!) thing. Well, I've decided to resurrect Burnt Infant, and I need/want my pedals back. I made a pretty tidy sum selling them on ebay last year, and figured I could find some on there again. Holy poop! Prices on those guys have doubled and even tripled since I sold them. $1200 for a flanger!! $1000 for a ring modulator! There's a set of four including the pedal board going for over $4000 right now - way more than what they go for seperately. Oh my god!

This pedal thing is getting out of hand, people. There's probably less than $50 worth of parts in that flanger - it's pure hype and ego driving these auctions through the roof. Damn. Sure, they're great pedals, but even I'm not willing to pay $1200 for one. It seems like as soon as anybody discontinues a pedal everybody wants one. It's stupid.

Sigh... I guess it's back to Boss pedals for me. :bag:

2. i've never paid over $100 for a pedal, and i don't know why anybody would want to...it seems that many effects have all the same parts inside, and at radio shack they are really cheap (conpared to the list price of the effect) it seems like it would be cheaper just to build your own after the $100 mark...

3. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ..."beauty is in the eye of the beholder"...

~S~

4. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    i know what you mean. i always keep an eye out on ebay for pedals i'm interested in. i always see used beat up pedals going for near the price of a new one! sometime even way over if its "mint" ;)

effects are a pricey lifestyle--as if it weren't bad enough being a starving artist AND a poor college student :p

lets hear it for 5 finger discount

-jimbo

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    If I were you Id call up the lovetone dudes and ask if they could give you the schematics.

If they arent making them anymore I dont see why they'd mind you making one for yourself, especially if you explain that you once owned them.

6. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I think the Lovetone Dudes are a little flakey. It seems like they 1-build and sell some pedals > 2-make a pile of money > 3-shut down until they run out of money > 4-go back to 1.

This is just my opinion on the situation. I don't really know what the deal is with the Lovetone Dudes, but I don't think they're gonna give-up their schematics...

7. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Vlad is actually completely insane. I guess it would probably depend on the day you called him wether he would say yes or no.

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    The only solution is to call him everyday with a different voice.

One day you are an old lady, the next you are a hot 20 something year old chick, the next you are Winston Churchill.

9. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    My kinda guy.

You would need some skills to DIY a Meatball. Put it this way, an EH Dr.Q would be like folding a paper airplane, where as a Meatball would be like a working full size oragami replica of the Spirit of St. Louis...with post-it's.

Ok, maybe not. Although I've eyeballed the schemo for a MutronIII and I'm still in therapy.

Yer right on that "less than $50 worth of parts" in there. R&D, set-up, assembly, the office phone bill...It all adds up.

As for the re-sale market, none of that applies - it's merely an ego frenzy. Maybe I'm just jealous that some guys can throw down more for one pedal than what a month's rent is here. That puts it in a pretty whack perspective.

edit: I'll keep an eye out for a meatball schemo...

10. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I *think* if i remember an email convo i had, long, long ago, David Main at D*a*M (www.stompboxes.co.uk) has access to the Lovetone Schematics.

11. Pneuma

Pneuma

Feb 14, 2004
    Arkansas
    The meatball and cheese-source (which is the big cheese and brown source combined into one unit) are still available new at www.dinosaural.com for around $600 each.

Cheap, eh?

P.

12. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
  13. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    And to think that I got my Meatball new for $300, and my ? Flanger for $400 only two years ago.

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Call me when you are a hot 20 something year old chick.