Pedal Pushers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Killed_by_Death, Nov 25, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I started a post on FB about a wiring mod to a bass to give it more output & more brightness.

I already had something in mind, but all the bass players on there wanted to do was tell me to buy this or that pedal.

"I don't do pedals." just did not sink in & the same recommendations kept popping in from different folks.

I want to get an amp with overdrive, and a lot of folks suggested getting a pedal instead.
    I'm stubborn about not wanting to buy a pedal, because then I'll be open to buying more.

I also have an amp that is capable of most of the effects I should need. It's pretty loud for a little SS combo too.

Surely I'm not alone in my aversion to pedals. ¿Que No?

FilterFunk and vmabus like this.
  2. this is TB you're going to get every possible solution to your problem.

that being said. GK has a pretty good grind to it.

3. Killed_by_Death

Maybe if I decided I like the MB500, but it's too big, then I could get a pedal for overdrive.
    I'm sure it will sound just like my MB200 only with the Boost & Contour.

4. vmabus

vmabus

Nov 1, 2013
    7200'
    I had a pedal, but I sold it.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  5. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I went through a lot of OD and fuzz pedals before I got my 100T. Now all I need is the foot switch and I have REAL OD or fuzz.

6. Killed_by_Death

I sometimes wish I'd went for Bassman.

7. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    It's never too late.

8. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
  9. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    All you have to do is go to the Effects forum to find people who are quite vocal about their aversion to pedals. A mod had to post a sticky because the trolling had gotten so out of hand.

10. Killed_by_Death

That's why I posted this here, so I wouldn't get a warning point for trolling.

FilterFunk likes this.
  11. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    I have two pedals; gas and brake. I also have a footswitch that P!$$es me off every time I look at it.

12. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    And believe me, we pedal users appreciate your consideration and discretion!

The "pedal pushers" need to take a hint and leave you alone. It's kind of like when I ask about hardware solutions to recording, sampling, etc. (not necessarily on TB), and I keep getting, "Just get a laptop and (insert various types of software here)." I've done a lot of research, and found that computers and software have their own issues. I'm more comfortable with hardware. My needs are relatively simple, so I don't need a ton of bells and whistles. Even if you're trying to be helpful, please answer the hardware question or stay out of it.

13. ptg

ptg

Mar 16, 2008
    This looks quite interesting...Wish someone near me or a music store near me had one to try...

14. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I'm not allowed to use pedals for bass. I already have enough trouble managing my vocal effects pedal, remembering the bass line and the lyrics. I am thinking of going stereo, and sending the treble pickup to an amp with distortion! Guitar amp! Ha!

15. fhm555

Feb 16, 2011
    The thing i heard that motivated me was someone, somewhere said Tech21 does Ampeg better than Ampeg. Owners manual shows several settings for different effects. I'm really wanting to try it and see what it's got.

16. ptg

ptg

Mar 16, 2008
    What cab are you using? (Sorry for throwing the thread off topic.)

17. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    I'm not averse to pedals as such. My Hartke Bass Attack is a prized possession, and I have a Digitech BP200, both of which can turn a loud but thin solid state into a fire breathing monster.

Pedals used like seasoning are alright with me.
    But when somebody dances around on a bunch of pedals to demo a bass, or can't play a song without all that all the time, forget it for me. Same for guitars, really. IMHO.

That's the biggest thing I like about my two pedals. Can turn my Combo into a mini SVT.

18. ptg

ptg

Mar 16, 2008
    BTW, the only pedal I have is an old volume pedal that is used as an on/off switch when I want to change from fretless to fretted quickly at a gig. I've been tempted to look into some pedals for tone variation but didn't know where to start so I never really delved into it...

19. anechoic

anechoic

Oct 31, 2005
    Shirley, MA
    The Orange OB1-300/500 might be worth checking out, if you can actually find someone who carries them. Blendable, footswitchable overdrive built in on those.

Another option would be to run a guitar head into a bass cab. Should be a lot more options for built in overdrive there. I think some famous guy (Lenny something or other) may have done that at one point.

20. fhm555

Feb 16, 2011
    A couple of avatar SB126 cabs and a carvin bx500.

NWF Bassist likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021