1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pedal question from someone who has never owned a pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tcnmtn, Apr 12, 2015.

1. tcnmtn

tcnmtn

May 19, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    Is there a pedal that functions like the preamp on an active bass? I mostly play a Lakland which is active which I play through an Ampeg Pro 7. When I play my Squier P bass the volume is less and not as full as the Lakland. I am looking for a pedal to boost the P bass up to the level of the Lakland so I can switch guitars without having to adjust the amp. Not really looking for any effects from the pedal and I should be able to turn the pedal off and pass through when playing the Lakland.

2. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Partner Southampton Pedals, Partner CCP
    There are lots of options.

A big shot Io
    But my fav is a Southampton all things equal, very affordable, works great

gregmon79 likes this.
  3. Marihino

Marihino

Mar 25, 2010
    London
    Sounds like a job for any EQ pedal. But, to make it clear, contrary to popular belief, active basses are not necessarily louder than passive ones. My passive Yamaha is just as hot as my active Marcus with lows in its onboard Sadowsky lightly boosted. And way hotter than the Marcus in passive mode, and also than many active basses I've had or tried.
    Another popular myth is that hotter is better. It isn't, so you could as well turn the volume on your Lakland down a bit to your P bass level. Since the Lakland is active, turning the volume knob down shouldn't change the tone (it does in passive basses).
    But, as you also complained about the lack of fullness in the Squier, my recommendation is an EQ pedal, such as a 6-band MXR.

4. Sounds like you're looking for a clean boost. There are some good threads on here about them. My favorite is the Owly from Pedal Projects, but there are definitely some others out there.

gregmon79 likes this.
  5. tcnmtn

tcnmtn

May 19, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    I want treble mid and bass knobs like on a active bass so I can cut or boost the different frequencies and still feed the output into the Pro 7.

6. I experienced the same thing as you. My Lakland had a trim pot in the control cavity and I was able to reduce the output to match my other basses. Not what you asked for, but it's cheap and it works for me.

7. tcnmtn

tcnmtn

May 19, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    Thanks Marihino - an EQ pedal sounds like a good place to start.

Dmac, thanks for the tip about the trim pots. That's an interesting alternative.

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    TC Electronic Spark Booster is what you seek. Clean boost with EQ and can even do a nice tube overdrive IF you want it. It's one of those pedals that even if you find yourself no longer needing it for what you need it for now, you'll still keep it. It can do a lot of things!

Another fantastic option is the MXR M81 Bass Preamp. It cannot do overdrive, but has a DI and it costs a little more. It adds a mid sweep control though! I use both of these pedals. I'd say overall, the MXR is better because of the mid sweep, but if you want to save a few bucks and don't need the mid control you can't beat the Spark Booster.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    There are a lot of preamps like that you can get. Since you use a 7 Pro I'll plug our good friends at Ampeg and mention their new SCR-DI ;)

Joeplanet likes this.
  10. BazzTard

BazzTard Banned

the Mooer Pure Boost is a great option. It has a gain knob that goes from clean boost to a little bit of dirt. It also has bass treble and volume knobs which you wanted.

I use it to bring my passive Jazz up to the volume of my passive P for unity. Works a treat. Cheap as chips.

11. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Were I in that situation I'd employ a pedal I already own: my Source Audio programmable EQ. It not only could boost a low signal bass and let you adjust highs and lows (and everything in between), but you might use it to fine tune the sound of your high signal bass--as well as giving you different sounds for different songs.

hintz likes this.
  12. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    ICT
    Sounds like a job for a Radial Bassbone: 2 channels with separate eqs and boost.

derg and HolmeBass like this.
  13. SamJ

SamJ Founder - Fender MIA Club

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    I wish that was out when I was looking for a small box with headphone capability... I got the 3Leaf Enabler which is now discontinued, but the SCR-DI was my first choice.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Enabler sounds like a sweet box. Spencer builds nice stuff.

SamJ and Joshua Pickenpaugh like this.
  15. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    ICT
    Agreed. I'd like to try out that new "octabvre" that just came out.

16. gsquare

gsquare Pedal Breeders' BIGBoardClub#104;CabronitaClub#8 Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Peoria, AZ
    as stated earlier in the thread, there are lots of variables at work here. However, the Sadowsky outboard preamp is like having the guts of one of their active basses on the floor in front of you to use or not use. Sounds like this might be what you are looking for. Lots of other great advice previously given as well.

Fuzzbass and HolmeBass like this.
  17. Clean boost pedal is what you need. I recommend either a Blackstar LT Boost or a TC Electronic Spark Booster.

DionClassic likes this.
  18. srcTW

srcTW Practicing my tail off Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Houston Metro Area
    I would get an clean boost that runs on batteries in your situation. I had the same issue as you and I use the Mr. White Tweak Boooster as it sits on my pedalboard and I can run power to it and it is tiny. Products For you I'd second the TC Electronic Spark.

19. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    I'm definitely planning on getting this because I have 3 very different sounding basses!!

20. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    Yamaha nathan east ne-1