1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pedal Reccomendation?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gjbassist, Mar 12, 2009.

1. At the moment I have no effects pedals. I play in a classic rock and blues band and really don't use them. I would however, like a pedal that will enhance my tone and make the bass stand out more for certain songs that call for it. I don't want any heavy distortion or anything that drastically changes my original tone. Any suggestions?

2. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I would go for a subtle transparent overdrive like the Barber LTD SR just to give a hint of grit when required.

3. Kraken

Kraken

Jun 19, 2001
    Aylesbury, England
    in addition to the overdrive (or you could go for Fuzz) already mentioned, you could try and get a Compressor and maybe a SansAmp (or one of its peers - I understand MXR and EBS have very good equivalents) but SansAmp and Compressors are very well debated subjects on this forum.

4. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Fulltone Bassdrive sounds like what you want. Warm, vintage sounding overdrive.

5. check out MXR M-80 Bass DI + Distortion
    good for tone shaping in my opinion

6. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    If it's an overdrive you're looking for, I would recommend either the ibanez pd-7 or the voodoo lab sparkle drive.

7. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Oh, one last thing. if you want to add some color to your sound, I would recommend buying a chorus pedal. it's guaranteed to give your bass a really cool sound.:)

8. You can juice your signal cleanly with the time-honored Sansamp bass driver.

9. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    What do you mean by "enhance?"

Without knowing anything else, I'm also going to recommend the Bass Driver.

10. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    EQ pedal.

11. Also, the nuclear-powered Tech 21 VT Bass has lots more sounds, and is alarmingly powerful (at least mine is).

12. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
  13. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    USA
    What do you mean by "stand out", and in what type of situations? If you are looking for a pretty sound while the bass is featured, I'd get a chorus or a phaser. If you're looking for some grit that sounds good, good luck! The choices are endless.

14. There are certain songs my band does where the bass line is the most recognizable part of the song. "My City Was Gone" by the Pretenders and "Badge" by Cream are a couple of examples. On these songs the bass needs to be heard clearly over everything else. On my previous Line 6 amp I had a different channel that had a fatter tone with more low end. I could just hit the foot switch and change to that channel for those songs. I got rid of the amp in favor of the new Carvin BX500 amp and want a pedal that can still give me that type of sound.
    What about the ElectroniX Submarine? Would that be a good choice?

15. I also would HIGHLY recommend the VT Bass, I and all my band mates always thought that I had a great bass tone until I got this pedal. Now it's just insane!!!

16. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    USA
    Sounds like you're looking for an EQ pedal or a rackmount EQ that is switchable so that you would treat it as a second amp channel. Of course, this could be accomplished with a previously suggested pedal like the Fulltone Bassdrive, SansAmp BDDI, or VT Bass. I'd probably use a BDDI, but on full blend it scoops the tone a bit. The blend is your friend.

17. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I think you need a ring modulator, possibly two.

That would probably be the most useful in the context that you need it for.

18. I use a T-Rex Morrler, it's a guitar distortion/overdrive, but it has a "mix" knob on it, so you can have more distortion or more of the bass signal. Sounds like a valve amp cranked. ALSO, it has a second boost switch with it's own volume, The Bass Juicer or whatever it's call (Also by T-Rex) is a bass version, but i dunno how that sounds, the Moller does me just fine, and i use it in the same way you are saying..If you can, Try it!
    Goes from clean to very distorted, (if you use the gain and mix knob propper)
    Hope i have helped!

19. That sounds a lot like the HBE Dos Mos dual mosfet preamp that I found. It is for guitar too so I was wondering how it would sound with bass?

20. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I've tried the Dos Mos, it's a fantastic sounding pedal.....for guitar. On bass...not so much. HBE makes fantastic stuff, he just has to expand his "bass" line a little.