Pedal recommendations for pop/hip hop bass lines?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Leep_Dog, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Leep_Dog

Leep_Dog

Dec 15, 2016
    I'm not sure what the type of pedal I'm looking for (synth?) but I'm looking for something to give me the bass tones of something like Soft Cell's Tainted Love or some hip hop bass lines.

Thanks.

2. stambroker

stambroker Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2011
    NYC
    Highly recommend a nice analog octaver like the Boss OC-2 or 3Leaf Audio Octabvre to begin any synthbass tone quest. I'd say it gets you most of the way there and teaches you to replicate the kind of attack you can hear on old pop songs. The classic synth tone is usually octave -> fuzz -> envelope filter, but pedals vary... for example, my 3Leaf Audio Doom Fuzz -> Moog MF-101 Low Pass Filter sounds pretty damn close to a Moog bass synth by itself.

For hip hop style lines, I highly recommend the DOD Meatbox to make the house shake.

Jakeman and Leep_Dog like this.
  3. Jakeman

Jakeman Swamp Thing Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    New Orleans, LA
    Agree with the above - octave -> fuzz -> filter works better than any single synth unit (for me). I use and love:

COG T-16 -> 3Leaf You're Doom -> 3Leaf Wonderlove
    IE Subterranea -> IE Oxide -> IE Xerograph Deluxe

alecduncan likes this.
  4. Rambazamba

Rambazamba

Dec 14, 2012
    Bremen
    Compressor => OC-2 => Equalizer will get you a long way for a very deep low-end and classic hip-hop sound but you could as well invest a sh*tload of money and get a Future Impact for all kinds of synthie bass sounds.

5. Yup, plenty of threads on how to cop a synth-bass tone with pedals. Check them out.

As already suggested: Comp > Octaver > Fuzz > other stuff such as phaser, filter, EQ, flanger, chorus, reverb...