Pedal recommendations....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mikgag, Mar 6, 2006.

1. mikgag

mikgag Guest

Mar 25, 2002
    So I've got my overdrive (Digitech Bad Monkey : kicks arse and doesn't make me feel so bad for selling my BDDI anymore)

I'll be looking into 2 more pedals, so my question is...

1) What's the difference between a Big Muff and it's clones vs. a Fuzz Face and it's clones??

2) I had a Boss CEB-3 but sold it because it choked the life out of my signal. Are there any decent bass chorus' that are true bypass? does the Digitech X-series chorus suck tone??
  2. I havent tried a fuzz face, but own a russian muff. Excellent pedal, true bypass, great sounding fuzz. The american tends to be more consistant and smoother. The fuzzface is quite dirty from what i gather.

What type of fuzz sound are you going for?

As for chorus, i'd recomend the analog man, ehx small clone or poly chorus, danelectro coolcat (esp. the older 18v version).

I own a small clone, and its fantastic. Plenty of people on here use them and love them too. Doesnt suck my tone at all, no noise, theres a TINY volume drop, barely noticable and its ver simple and easy to use. I cant get a bad sound out of it.
  3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    A Fuzz Face has no tone control, just gain (fuzz) and output volume.

The Big Muff has a single tone control which can smooth the sound out (fuzzes by their very nature add buzzy upper harmonics).

To me, the FF is the classic 60s fuzz bass sound. Your ears may differ.
  4. You should check out a Depth Charge aswell. Sounds great. Listen to Price I Pay by janes addiction, you will hear it.

I should be aquiring a Chunk Systems Brown Dog gated bass fuzz soon aswell, which i'll be posting a review on. Might be worth checking out. Blend functions add alot of versatility to distortions IMO.