Pedal sale rant: give benefit of the doubt or F that guy?

Discussion in 'Classifieds Usage Discussion and Help' started by krfoss, Jun 14, 2021.

1. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    I recently sold a pedal here in the classified. When it left, it was running perfectly. When the buyer received it, they messaged me and claimed it didn't work at all. No sound, tried different voltage, nothing. I trusted the guy and refunded the money. He sent it back and I get it today. I plug it into my board and it runs PERFECTLY. No issues whatsoever.

What do I do? Give the guy the benefit of the doubt and believe him when he said "I did everything I could do," or give the guy a negative feedback on the sale?

If everything he could do couldn't make it work, and I could by simply applying electricity and depressing the switch, then he didn't try very hard.

I'm also pissed because I already refunded the money. I would like this community to be a place where we can trust one another, but it seems like he tried it, didn't like it, and wanted a refund. I know it's speculation, but that's the vibe I'm getting. I'm not GC with a "love it or refund" policy. I also don't want this to happen to anyone else. When I get a pedal here I don't like, I just resell it!

What do I do? Trust the guy that he's an idiot and couldn't get the pedal to work, or give him negative comments on the sale? I'm not saying the guys handle here, but if you read this you should know I'm not "being cool" about this....

2. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    There's enough information around here to troubleshoot the issue, assuming there was one.

My perspective? Buyer's remorse.

krfoss likes this.
  3. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    Had that happen to me recently.
    Sold a pedal to someone, got a message that it didn’t work.
    I started to panic but after a couple days he got back to me and told me that when he put a battery in, it worked after all.
    Cuz Science

Happy ending

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    DirtDog, HCF, Rip Van Dan and 2 others like this.
  4. RJ

RJ

Aug 17, 2000
    San Francisco
    I'd be annoyed too.

Leave the feedback, thats what its for. If they take take issue with it they can run it up the flag pole and go from there.

Better to have documentation of it now in the event it happens again.

Nunovsky likes this.
  5. lfmn16

lfmn16

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    If we don't give honest feedback, what is the point in being able to give feedback? We should be rewarding good sellers and buyers and warning others about con artists. If you don't give feedback, the jerk will do the same thing to someone else.

6. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Leave the feedback. If they're a good guy/gal/person, they'll understand and/or try to work it out amicably, and probably not get any more negative pings.

If they're not a good person then they deserve it, and they'll rack up a few more and screw themselves over.

7. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    My worry is that he'll write a negative report about me claiming the pedal worked and I sold him a broken box.

Real Soon likes this.
  8. Greg75

Greg75 Supporting Member

Trust and move on, IMO. I remember having a "problem" getting a pedal to work with my PSU. Turned out that I had a ground-lift splitter cable hooked up incorrectly--no instructions from the manufacturer, of course. Anyway, for a bit, I did think it was the pedal. My point is that sometimes stuff doesn't work and it can be easy to misdiagnose problems with electronics. Why think the worst when you don't have to?

JEDI BASS and Real Soon like this.
  9. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Yeah he didn't like the pedal and sold it back to you. I'd like to know who it is personally, as I sell a lot of pedals here.

But it's a tough situation as like you said we basically all trust each other. I probably would have asked for a quick video of what he was doing to make it work along side another pedal of his that does work (so he can't just turn the amp down and say 'see..no sound'). I would then maybe tell him to give it to his guitar player to try to see if he can get it to work. Then maybe I'd offer a refund ONCE I got the pedal back.

lfmn16, krfoss and Matt Dean like this.
  10. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    He just might. It’s better IMO to drop the matter and simply re-list your item

11. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    Leave the feedback - its not becoming of TB’s culture.

okcrum, Real Soon and cheapbasslovin like this.
  12. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I hear you, but you do have a critical advantage here: you could easily make a video demo, stating the current date and time, showing that the pedal does in fact work. If he tries to escalate his claim, you still have the higher ground of truth.

Ultimately it's your choice, and I don't have a duck in this race so won't harp on it, but I do think @Matt Dean 's statement is highly relevant: the classifieds here uphold an extremely high standard of trust and behavior, and it behooves every one of us to try to uphold it...especially when money is involved, given how many people here are full-time professionals.

As a diplomatic move to possibly solve things positively: maybe communicate with the buyer further to see where his head is at in it as a current next step?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    NigelD, Greg75 and Matt Dean like this.
  13. Sonicblaze

Sonicblaze Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Here's a new one I've ran into: I have a specific brand of pedals, that refuse to work with a specific order of Chinese power cables.

I traced it down to the pedals inner pole is slightly undersized, while the Chinese power cables hole is slightly oversized. The result was no amount of fiddling would make those pedals work with those power cables. But, the power cables worked on other pedals fine.

I literally threw away ~ a dozen cables due to them all having tolerance issues. Bought better ones, and haven't had a problem since.

Weird issues like that can happen, and had I not knew what cables where what and had multiple different pedals on-hand to mess around with, I never would have figured that out. I opened the pedal up and hooked a meter to the plug pins to finally lead me to measure stuff with a caliper to find the flaw.

14. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    I bought a delay pedal here a while back and no matter what I tried, it did not work. The seller claimed it worked when he put it in the box. From my end, it was great to do that transaction here on TB because the seller had good communication and was nice enough to refund my $ after I shipped it back. I in turn, refunded him back his shipping fees for the effort. $#!t happens....

Try that on epay. I've been hosed there many times when the seller, epay, and paypal all refused to refund my $$$.

Real Soon and krfoss like this.
  15. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    stop drop and roll on.. put a bigger price on your pedal.. and make some cash that makes up for the hassle..

16. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Negative feedback. He didn't like the pedal, and said it didn't work to get his refund.

17. Sometimes you encounter less than honest people and decide to tell you a story in order to return an item they no longer want. I'm not saying this is the case, but it does look a bit like one (I can't imagine someone who is able to operate a spoon not to be able to operate an FX pedal). Regardless... the best option is to forget it and move on. Life has disappointments, and may they all be as little as this one for you.

At least he didn't cause damage on purpose in order to back up their story, as we sometimes hear that people do.

Don't dwell on it, move on and hope the next sale works out.

BeauZooka likes this.
  18. As previously pointed out, there’s little value to the feedback system if it doesn’t honestly appraise a given experience/transaction with someone you’ve entered into an free market agreement with.
    Leave honest feedback. It may feel like you’re being harsh, but if the individual in question preys on the inherent propensity of others to prefer compliance over conflict (a common trait among the underhanded), then shedding light on your personal experience may potentially save someone else the grief of having to deal with this individual’s nefarious tactics.

lfmn16 likes this.
  19. sokolasty

sokolasty

Dec 11, 2006
    Poland
    I basically believe that people are good.
    I have no idea how hard the buyer tried to use or connect pedal. Simple "tried everything" means nothing, since his "everything" and mine "everything" are different.
    Did buyer ask for help using pedal or said "broken, money back"?

20. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Leave feedback, that’s not someone I’d want to do business with. Retaliatory feedback is not allowed. So if the buyer then leaves negative feedback for you, we’ll delete it You’d just have to post proof the pedal in question actually works.

Also, moving this to the appropriate forum.

Real Soon, Stevorebob and punchdrunk like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021