pedal seqence...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jonathanl, Jan 16, 2003.

1. jonathanl

Jan 12, 2003
    Orinda, CA
    Hello --

I have a noise gate (my yamaha bass has some pickup noise problems, it seems like it's a grounding problem, but I have no idea how to fix it, so this is why I use it), eq (not really a pdal, but it's pedal-like), and soon to be multicomp..

I'd like to know what order I should be using them in..

I currently have eq, gate, compression...

any other ideas?
  2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I have exactly six ideas...

eq - gate - compression
    eq - compression - gate
    gate - eq - compression
    gate - compression - eq
    compression - eq - gate
    compression - gate - eq

Seriously though, I'd try one of

gate - compression - eq
    compression - gate - eq

Compression is often good first in the chain, but given the noise problem it might be best to have the gate first so the compressor doesn't amplify the noise when you're not playing.
  3. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    There's not right or wrong. Experiment and see what works best. Personally I like the noise gate last because effects generally ADD noise. By putting the gate last, it catches everything.

Oh and i like the EQ first. I like the idea of sending an EQ'd signal to the other effects, it gives you more options. For example, the distortion effect I use sounds completely different when it receives a slightly hotter signal from the Eq. But it behaves differently if I swap em around.

I can't help with the compression cos I don't use it.
  4. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    In general, it's always best to have the compressor first and the noise gate last in a setup such as yours. Of course, there are always exceptions.