Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pedal set-up advice please

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by vic_6, Oct 13, 2005.

1. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    hey, i am sort of done with my pedal set up. just lacking a few more. and im confused about a few things ith regards to arrangement.

so my set up is,
    bass-> dt-10 -> oc-2 -> punch factory -> pd-7 -> 105q -> small stone -> ceb-3 -> amp.

stored away:
    sansamp PBDDI

now im not sure where to put my sansamp, whether to follow directions on the manual or at the end since it's not really that much of an effect unless there's a specific sound change in one of our covers. and does the punch factory cover the DI issues already? therefore negating the sansamp?

also, is it right to put the oc-2 ahead? i keep the punch factory after it so that it fixes the inconsistencies of the oc-2. or should i keep the punch factory last so as to even out everything? which would also, in the end, negate the use of the sansamp?

any help or advice would be great. :p

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I have my wah in front of everything but my octaver.

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    You can put the Punch in front of the distortions and then the Sansamp after the distortions (post dist EQ) also.

What's a DT 10?

4. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    the D.I is meant to send the signal to the board, or recording, or whatever.

so if you use the punch factory (or sansamp) in the middle of the chain you wont be using the D.I.

the D.I is on the balanced (XLR/Cannon/3pin) output, so you are not using if you connect the pedal with a standard instrument cable.

i recommend addin the sansamp at the end of the chain, so the playing live you can send the signal to the boards through the D.I, and use the regular out to your amp, unless your amp has a D.I and you like it.

5. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Modulation (wah, octave) first, whatever chorus and delay are called next, OD/dist last is how I like it. I like compression at the beginning of my signal; some like it at the end. I run DI's (when applicable) at the end of my chain.

This is just how I've kind of setup my rig over the years. Seems to work best for me. Wah/octaver/pitch stuff DEFINITELY needs to get your full signal, at least in my experience. Makes a huge difference.

Mine goes:
    tuner, LS-2 line selector-->wah, phaser, delay, chorus, od--> LS-2, preamp, poweramp

Oh, and just added a volume pedal before the tuner. works great for me!

6. Since I know I can't help but answer. It is a Korg DT-10 tuner!

7. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    ok, wait,
    so D.I. is STIRCTLY for connection to the board? and is only used with the xlr output?

ok, well i kinda like the effect of the wah after both distortion and octaver. has a werid synth like thing going on. especially with a small stone after everything.

8. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Because I know best
    bass-> dt-10 -> pd-7 -> oc-2 -> 105q -> ceb-3 -> small stone -> punch factory -> amp

9. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    hey TaySte,

could you explain why that order? just so i understand.

10. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Tuner first so I presume you can mute your whole chain, would probably be better on a tuner out of another pedal if possible.

pd-7 as then you can run distortion into octaver which is a far better and dritier sound than octaver into dist,

oc-2 for reason staed above and then the wah so you can wah the octaved signal giving you a more synth tone.

Chorus near end so you can add a shimmer to everything and then into phaser so yuo can add a swirl to it which to me always sounds better chorus into phaser if you ever decide you need your sound like that

I always like to run compression last as more of a limiting and it should be after your wah to tame the peaks.

Hope this helps

11. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    cool. thanks thanks!

uh, i'll that out when i get home later.

12. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I don't like the sound of a compressed wah at all. Maybe I just haven't found the sweet spot.

13. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    Effect guru Robert Keely has a neat piece on this at

http://www.robertkeeley.com/faq.php#Effect Order

Just becase the SansAmp is a DI AND a distortion effect doesn't mean you have to use it as both.

I rarely play in venues big enough that I have to DI into a house PA so it's not an issue. When I do the sound guy always offers me a DI box. Most bass amps now have a DI box built right into them.

My feeling is determine the best location your Sans Amp for YOUR sound first and worry about DIing later.

14. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Here here.

All my amps have DIs. So my MXR Bass DI is just a post distortion EQ. Of course, I can always bring it for straight to PA gigs.

15. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    ok ok. thanks everyone! if anyone else has suggestions, please feel free. :)

16. Following TaySte_2000 order:
    Octaver after filter (105q) might be troublesome when it comes to tracking. That's why some wah/filters have a loop section to tap the envelope before it goes to the filter. Don't know if your 105q has that feature.