Pedal Showdown: Way Huge Pork Loin Vs Electro Harmonix Bass Soul Food Vs Ibanez Tube Screamer Bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tyohars, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Way Huge Pork Loin

46.8%
  2. Electro Harmonix Bass Soul Food

17.0%
  3. Ibanez Tube Screamer Bass

17.0%
  4. Other (insert your suggestion)

6.4%
  5. Carrot

12.8%
  1. tyohars

tyohars

Nov 11, 2016
    Here we go again, with my problem of wanting some particular sound. Exactly Tame Impala on this song:

I already made a thread but TB delete it because the music video lol. So, you read the title, which one is the best for that price point? Or, do you have other suggestions? The three I chose on the title was suggestion from deleted thread.

Now, let the pedals battle begin!!!

2. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    Because of "studio magic", chasing a recorded tone can drive you insane.

3. In a Premier Guitar interview they stated that all the instrumentation for this song was run through a Roland Guitar Synth, the Roland GR55.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  4. 254 stringer

254 stringer Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Waco Texas
    I would stay away from the bass tube screamer. And I don’t know if the pork loin would get bright enough to get that tone without doing the JohnK mod. That sound actually sounds more like something the dod 250 would be able to pull off.

SunnBass and gregmon79 like this.
  5. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Big time. This is key to remember.

I could see the pork loin getting this tone. But yeah, it may, or may not, be a tad darker.

Really, I’d be more concerned with the type of bass tone used rather than the type of OD. That sounds like a J bass with more bridge pup running no? If you get that and add some OD, almost anything will do, pork loin, ultimate drive, bass soul food, you should be able to get there. I agree about the bass TS too, not that great of a pedal from what I remember.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  6. tyohars

tyohars

Nov 11, 2016
    I mean, just the dry sound is what I really after. Something like that dry sound from the record, not the whole sound.

Someone already mention the dod 250, but here in Indonesia, the only available is just the guitar version.

That's what I thought first. I have Sire V7 and Behringer odb 3, but I can't get the sound with that OD. So, that's why I'm seeking new OD.

7. 254 stringer

254 stringer Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Waco Texas
    There is only a “guitar version” of the dod 250 but it works just fine for bass.

8. tyohars

tyohars

Nov 11, 2016
    My bad. So, it's better than bass soul food for the sound I want?

9. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    It sounds like you could get what you want with what you have. Try only using the bridge pup on your bass. Then dial the OBD3 in with either very little blend and more gain or very little gain and more blend. That pedal is more versatile than some give it credit. The gain on that pedal is def somewhat brittle. But if you can find a good balance between the blend and gain, you should be able to get close.

It’s like Sunn said though, it’s going to be quite tough getting an exact sound. Studio recorded tones are tough. Sometimes the only thing you can do is approximate.

10. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    I suggested the DOD 250 because the other video, even though it had a very pretty girl in it, had almost no perceptible distortion and the old DOD 250 has lots of headroom, doesn't get fuzzy at lowest settings (full range preamp it is), while this one has a bit more plus something else I can't really nail, maybe a time based effect like chorus, but maybe the BSF will get closer, do they let you demo it in a store? Do they carry TC Electronics Spark Booster? That has some awesome EQing as well as drive and isn't as expensive as some. Also their new analog series might have something.

11. tyohars

tyohars

Nov 11, 2016
    Already try it, and all I heard was fart sound. Really.

They'll let me try it for sure, but the one that sold DOD 250 and BSF is different store. I'll try to bring my bass and try both before I buy it. Thanks!

12. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I just rolled my J bass to the bridge pup and plugged my ODB3 in. I got in the same realm in seconds. I hear a little chorusing going on too though. Maybe that’s the aspect you’re missing?

13. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    I found these vids for TC products

gregmon79 likes this.
  14. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    AZ
    How silly of me I thought you lived in Idaho.

15. tyohars

tyohars

Nov 11, 2016
    Maybe, on mine it sounds like the effect not coloring the bass well. I don't know what's missing, though. I buy it used, very cheap, and it sound to fuzzy for me.

There is Cinders on the shop. I'll try it too, thank you very much!

Lol no, I live in Indonesia

Bioflava likes this.
  16. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Where’s your gain set at?

17. tyohars

tyohars

Nov 11, 2016
    Already try it everywhere

18. tyohars

tyohars

Nov 11, 2016
    Would you tell me your sets?

19. keto

keto

Mar 3, 2016
    Edmonton
    I love my Pork Loin with JohnK resistor mod BUT it sounds better for me with passive basses, my actives tend to - I’m not sure, but it’s like they blow right through the clipping stage. You can still hear the pedal’s on, but not much grit n grind. With my P, PJ, & Jazz though, yeah it will get at least most of that sound.

20. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Around here

79D7A511-14BD-452C-AA99-FECB4EA06289.jpeg

zapped777 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021