Pedal Showdown: Way Huge Pork Loin Vs Electro Harmonix Bass Soul Food Vs Ibanez Tube Screamer Bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tyohars, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Way Huge Pork Loin

46.8%
  2. Electro Harmonix Bass Soul Food

17.0%
  3. Ibanez Tube Screamer Bass

17.0%
  4. Other (insert your suggestion)

6.4%
  5. Carrot

12.8%
  1. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I just tried my Joyo ultimate drive. That worked better.

SunnBass, zapped777 and smogg like this.
  2. Joyo Ultimate Drive is a great overdrive at a real budget price.

3. sigterm

sigterm ;) ;) ;), love y'all

Feb 5, 2003
    Atlanta G of A
    I think pretty different choices there, BSF I think is based on the Klon, the screamer a screamer, and the pork loin covers more ground/broader control. If the you want the Klon style drive, go with the BSF. if you want the tube screamer style there's better TS type drives for bass, I think the loin can dial in a wider range, but probably won't do klon or screamer as well as a dedicated klon/screamer based pedal.

4. Logic_11

Logic_11

Nov 22, 2015
    Atlantic Ocean
    Probably the tube screamer. I really didn't like the EHX bass soul food because it was too subtle

Ive never heard of the porkloin though

5. tyohars

tyohars

Nov 11, 2016
    My bad, mine is BOD 3, not ODB 3. I think, that's very different. It sound so fuxzy

I'll look for that

6. Excellent, excellent, excellent advice. I think we all need this reminder.

SunnBass likes this.
  7. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I always listen to a live version.

P-oddz and gregmon79 like this.
  8. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    Well, not so much advice as it is a warning. ;)

GreggBummer likes this.
  9. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    Good video for the "is 4 string bass obsolete?" questions...I don't think a low B would be heard in that mix, and what is going on with the vocalist/guitarist and his pedal boards taking up the whole of stage center? Is one for his effected vocal? is that falsetto, castrati, or an octave up pedal?

SirMjac28 likes this.
  10. I would go with a Hardwire CM-2. Gets you that kind of sound very easily.

gregmon79 likes this.
  11. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Oh yeah. Good call.

12. tyohars

tyohars

Nov 11, 2016
    I'll see if I can find one

skydivingninja and gregmon79 like this.
  13. tyohars

tyohars

Nov 11, 2016
    A little quick update, I found a store that selling CM-2, Joyo Ultimate, and DOD 250. I'll go there Friday to try em all!

gregmon79 likes this.
  14. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    I made peace with this sort of thing a few years ago:
    1. Studio magic trumps anything you can put on your pedalboard in many cases.
    What I have come up with is, take a mosquite blender pedal and put zoom ms60Bb in it's loop. Make a patch that comes as close as possible. Blend back in some dry bass (or not), viola. For a very budget friendly price, you are decently close to the tone you want. To get the rest of the way there, see 1. above.

15. tyohars

tyohars

Nov 11, 2016
    Unfortunately, the mosquite not available here and the zoom quite rare

16. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    If you like a wooly, dark drive, the PL is cool because it had a nice tone stack and a pretty wide gain stage. However, it doesn't have the attack of the EHX or mid hump of the TS.
    The standard Ibanez TS without a blend after sounds dreadful on bass IMO. Total tone suck and limited articulation. A mod that has a bass control and blend makes it much better. Dunwich built me a custom with a 2 band EQ and clipping selection. It is awesome.
    The Bass Soul Food is a good deal if you like an OCD style drive and don't want a tone of gain. If you dime the drive you don't get a lot out of it, but it will push a tube amp nicely. The drive sounded a little "messy" to me and I prefer the Fuzzrocious implementation of the OCD circuit.

17. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I have found that many drives aren't active friendly. The mids and chunk of a passive seems to hit them in the right way, like a guitar would. More aggressive, scooped drives like the Darkglass offerings seem to play nicer with active basses.
    I hate to say it since I mostly play finger, but drives sound so much better with a pick as well.

18. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    Maybe it's just me or maybe the earbuds I'm listening through, but on this live version I hear much less OD in the bass sound. IMHO approximating this sound is more about the combination of J bass, pick, some careful palm muting and compression. Some light OD would just be the salt one would add to a well prepared meal.

I've never used a Pork Loin but do have both a Way Huge "Green Rhino MKIV" and a "Pork & Pickle" on my board. Both would approximate the appropriate amount of overdrive. I would think the Pork Loin would put you in that same ball park.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  19. Wulfensteiner

Wulfensteiner Inactive

Mar 24, 2018
    Melbourne, Australia
    Dude, you're *NEVER* going to achieve your desired sound. Or anything usable. It's Behringer :D

All jokes aside, I was about to chime in with the Joyo. It can effortlessly pull that type of sound, and it sounds great on bass. It's mighty impressive and mighty cheap!

For people who struggle to find value in the tube screamer, here's a nifty little trick. Run it in the effects loop, kind of like a glorified preamp. My eyes bugged out at the difference! Guitar guys should alsl try it with the Boss MT2 - I could DEFINITELY use THAT sound. In a traditional setting? The best sound it makes is when you throw it out a window to the street below.

(no I haven't done the preamp thing with Behringer products. Life's too short)

20. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    Yes, that can be a problem. Zoom is made in JP, you'd think they would have some regional distribution. I mean, you guys have a Sea World, but not so much with the bass gear?...

You could probably utilize the idea with substitute brands ymmv. Watch our for pedals that are voiced for guitar. They will steal the bottom from you tone.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021