Pedal similar to Darkglass X7

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by codiak, Aug 29, 2020.

1. codiak

codiak

Mar 16, 2017
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I have a Darkglass X7, but I’m growing to not necessarily like it’s natural sound. I’m looking for another pedal that can EQ and add distortion and whatnot, but with a more ‘vintage’ or clean sound. No idea what’s all out there. I’ve been looking at a Tech21 Sansamp bass driver. Looking for some more suggestions.

Also, I mainly use P’s if that matters.

2. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Scandinavia
    Add a 6 band eq to the bddi and you will get a great combo.

3. IronSpatula

IronSpatula Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2003
    Northern CA
    Probably the most important feature of the X7 is the crossovers it employs to process lows and highs separately. I would not say the BDDI is a similar pedal to be honest, though it’s certainly a well-regarded classic and may well give you what you’re looking for.

Other versatile “vintage” sounding pedals you might look at would be the SansAmp VTDI and the Darkglass Vintage Ultra. I personally have found the Darkglass to be the clearest sounding on low-gain settings, which may or may not be what you want.

4. codiak

codiak

Mar 16, 2017
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I do really like the crossover that the X7 has, and that when using distortion it only distorts the highs and leaves the lows in tact. Maybe I’ll try messing around with my gain settings to get a clearer tone.

My X7 is my ‘tone pedal’ as in I leave it on when playing to get my sound. Maybe I’ll try the BDDI at some point.

Fuzzbass likes this.
  5. WasabiChicken

WasabiChicken

Jan 30, 2020
    Sweden
    About the only other crossover (distort the highs & compress the lows) pedal I know of, outside of DSP territory like Line6's Helix (which I'm convinced can do anything), is the Orange Bass Butler. If you haven't already, look up some demos on YouTube and see how you like its sound.

Other than that, I've seen a couple of dedicated pedals that do only the crossover (signal split into high- and low pass filters into separate effects loops) and leaves the decision of what to put in the effects loops to you: check out the KMA Tyler.

If the crossover isn't important (plenty of drive boxes can blend in your clean tone for example), I'd look no further than Darkglass's Vintage series. You ought to like their Vintage Ultra, it has plenty of EQ options, and all the bells & whistles attached.

nuage420b likes this.
  6. AhmedDew

AhmedDew

Apr 9, 2020
    KMA Audio Machines Tyler

m_tyler.png

I am running mine second after Darkglass Harmonic Booster (first in my chain) with B7K and Alpha Omega in the hpf loop (switching between them) and Seymour Duncan Studio Bass compressor in the lpf loop (with high compression settings), that gives me limitless tonal possibilities, with crossover range applied on both loops from 20Hz to 3kHz, this pedal is a MONSTER!

You should also look into:

Tech 21 DP-3X dUg Pinnick
    Tech 21 DI-2112 Geddy Lee

nuage420b likes this.
  7. Spooge

Spooge Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Missouri
    I'd be interested in buying your X7 if you want to sell.

Fuzzbass likes this.
  8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Crossover distortions have a much steeper learning curve than standard full-spectrum distortions, so I definitely recommend spending more time with the X7. The variable HPF and LPF make it highly versatile, along with the rest of the controls. Of course that versatility comes with complexity.

I can get great tones from standard distortions, but I'm with you: I much prefer keeping lows clean to prevent low end phart. If it turns out that you still don't love the X7, I recommend these crossover distortions:
    • Tech 21 DP-3X, the dUg Pinnick signature distortion. It has more of a 'flavor' than the X7, but I love it as much as the X7
    • Brimstone Audio XD-2. This is the first crossover distortion I became familiar with. It does not have compression for the low band, but will allow you to distort the low band. So, you could do what I do and gently distort lows while heavily distorting highs

Here are a few more crossover distortions that I have not tried but are well regarded:
    • Brimstone Audio Basilisk. Similar to the XD-2, but has a grittier distortion circuit (I think)
    • EBS Billy Sheehan pedal
    • Orange Bass Butler

I believe there are others but I know way too little about them to mention them.

Alex O likes this.
  9. +1 for the DP3X. That's definitely the best of both Tech 21 and Darkglass worlds if that's more to your taste.

In my experience the X7 and BDDI are pretty different beasts; however, they play really well together if you want to try that. If you're considering replacing the X7, the DP3X would be the way to go.

4StringsEnough and Fuzzbass like this.
  10. sprag

sprag

Sep 15, 2011
    Melb Australia
    I think the x7 format would make a great effects blender if darkglass were to make one. Just need to take out the drive and add an effects loop or three

11. deff

deff Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Gloucester, MA
    The Orange Bass Butler is similar in function to the X7 but is more vintage like. I would argue that you should have just bought the Darkglass Vintage Ultra.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021