1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pedal that has an 808 Bass Drop Effect

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mancefine, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Glorp

Glorp

Feb 10, 2016
    Victoria BC
    I agree with BlastBass. I'd look into some combination of octave pedals and envelope filters if you're looking for tuned, trap style 808s. Correctly setting up the filter envelope is important to getting good 808 sounds. Fast attack, slow decay and release... I think... If there's an ADSR filter pedal out there that's what you'd want. The Moog seems like a good bet.

EDIT: I recall that my EHX Bass Microsynth could get pretty close. It wont be as crisp as an 808 sample though.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  2. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Anyone else got ideas?? I'm at a show right now and they are utilizing the bass drop pretty well and I think I'd like to do something like this. But I'm not sure how to do it on the scale that it's done at.

See, I have a bass whammy, boss ps6, POG2, meatbox and an OC2. So I've got the octave and sub octaves covered. But then how the hell do you make any of those "drop"? I know the whammy and ps6 have that drop goin on but it doesn't seem like it would be quite as drastic as the drops I'm hearing/were thinking of in this thread. Maybe it's simply because I'm used to hearing them through my 410? Hmmmmmm.

3. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    The MojoRoller or Bomber effects in the Zoom B1on might do the trick for auto-triggered whammy style divebombs.

gregmon79 and blastbass like this.
  4. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Do you know if you'd be able to do this with say the Hotone Wally?? I have one but don't see a way to get an 808 drop sample into it....

blastbass likes this.
  5. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Have you done it yourself with the B1on? I have a B1Xon so I could do what you're saying. Possibly. I just thought that the B1Xon also has a USB in so I may be able to get a sample into the looper on it of an 808......maybe.....??

6. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    You nailed it about the "through your 410" part. They just can't handle the truth.

Ultimately the "best way" using your stuff would be to record a sound you make with the Wally, then never delete it. (or record it everytime you need it). Send this sound to the PA - SUBS!!

Try one of your octave pedals before your whammy - like the meatbox. Maybe follow the meatbox with a lowpass filter set at 500hz (that might be in the zoom or use the tone knob on a pedal to cut the highs). Try a bunch of different notes, but you will find some that just kick. The way you sweep the whammy is important, and the range. It's actually only a little bit, like 3-5 full notes, not a full octave.

I will PM you a song we did with the drop I made with the Moog Filter.

gregmon79 likes this.
  7. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL

Good ideas man!! All I need is my Wally. Live I mean. If I can record something at home and it'll just store in there.

8. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I doubt it! The USB is for firmware updates only... however there is a clever dude who figured out how to make an app interface with the port to make a PC controller app. I wouldn't expect uploading samples to the looper to be a feature though.

9. bass.bert

bass.bert

Dec 27, 2009
    I recently checked an ehx space drum. it's a drumsynth in pedalform. just split your signal and use the aux in (trigger in didn't work with my passive bass) to trigger one shot. you can tune the sound ehx style with start and stop frequency like on the bms and enigma. i just had a guitar amp available but that bassdrop went pretty low...

pros: sounds like a real electronic bassdrum (cause it is one)
    cons: you don't have any control over pitch and duration via your playing - it's all set by the knobs