Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pedal to buy for show friday

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ImNotGeddyLee, Mar 6, 2002.

1. i have a concert friday and really want to try something new... i plan on going to GC that morning and purchasing something with the full intent of returning it later... any suggestions... im thinking a digitech whammy... its a jam band and most of the songs are going to be totally improvised so i get plenty of chances to really go all out here...

hehe aint i a stinka

2. Some nasty envelope filter...like an Alien Mother Filter or something...

You know, a one-trick pony that you've always wanted to wank out on stage with but can't be arsed with the cost... :D

3. Get a bass synth. Either a E-H, korg or a boss. Laser fights and sheep dying on stage are waaaaaay fun.

Pwweeuup. Waaaahhhaaaeee. Baaaaabaaakkkk.

4. Oh yeah... it stinks in here.

How about a octave effect, EH reissued the octave multiplexer... :D Am I an EH whore? And the Dr. Q looks fun.

5. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    London
    I have to say that I have a boss SYB-3 synth on semi permanent loan and all in all I'm not impressed. My mate told me he paid £200 (sterling) for it (true or not I don't know), and it tends to just fart along of it's own accord in a fairly limtied range of sounds. Unless you play ploddy stuff that's not too quick for the little fellah you're fairly knackered. Oh, and you can't play chords. Actually, the best use we made of it was to plug a g****r into it and play chords through so it made this crazy sound trying to track all the notes. Superb!

HOWEVER, the EH Bass Micro Synthesizer makes the SYB-3 look like it came out of a cracker. I just can't say enough good things about it! :D
    It dives, it sweeps, it clangs, up, down, left , right, lo-fi, hi-fi, Alien death machine....WOO HOO! I've only demo'd one in a shop for 10 mins or so but I fell in love there and then. All this AND it seemed quite capable of handling chords.
    Pricewise I can get a EH synth for the same or slightly more than my mate reckons he paid for the boss one.

Unfortunately I'm skint, but the first £200 I get is going straight into the till in the music shop! (just don't tell the girlfriend.

Oh, the only danger is you might like it TOO much and decide to keep it!

An EH whore? I LOVE 'em! :D

6. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    London
    Oh, and the doctor Q? Might as well use a Q-tron+. MUCH more versatile (tried the first, own the second). Although if you fancy something like that, what about a tube zipper? not heard one for real (esp not on a bass) but the MP3 downloads sugguest you can set it pretty extreme.