1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pedal to choose Behringer BSY600 or Digitech Bass Synth Wah

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Flaming, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Flaming

Flaming

Jun 14, 2012
    Hi.
    I need to play, a little dubstep inspired piece in a new song that we made in our band.
    But I dont got any pedals, and now I need one.

I'm in doubt of which I schould pick:
    Behringer BSY600 or Digitech Bass Synth Wah

The Behringer BSY600 would do the dubstep job best, but i'ts seems like is that the only thing it can do.

The Digitech Bass Synth Wah, would not do the dubstep job, quite as good, but it seems like it has more functions.

We play alternativt rock, and funk.
    I'm really in doubt of which I schould pick!

Do you bass players have any suggestions, ideas,experience,which one would you choose or just some words?
    -
    Thanks!

2. TomA1234

TomA1234

Jul 27, 2009
    Fareham, England
    Well, I have both.
    The Behringer is better for synth sounds IMO, but the Digitech is more versatile.

If you want to do a dubstep piece then I would go for the BSY with an expression pedal. The digitech can only sweep up or down where as the Behringer can do that and has LFO settings (for the wub wub wub noise).

3. Isn't the Behringer a cheaper copy of a Boss Bass Synth in a plastic casing? A used Boss could be an idea if you want something that will last longer...

4. Flaming

Flaming

Jun 14, 2012
    If I had the money I bought the boss.;)

But does the BSY only has those "alien effect"? I dont want to sound like a spaceman all the time:D

As far as my knowledge goes, the digitech has an envolpe filter, so you can play like 70' funk, along with other effects or am I wrong?

What does an expression pedal exacly do?

5. No, the Behringer is definitely capable of more normal sounding effects as well. It has a knob to blend in your clean signal on every mode, so you can always make the effect sound as subtle as you'd like. Also, it has two "waveshape" modes, which are basically distortion plus envelope filter.

And one of the nice things that the Behringer does (that the Boss doesn't even do) is that if you turn the decay/rate knob all the way up in the non-LFO modes, it disables the filter sweep altogether and you just get a straight synth tone.

An expression pedal is just a way to control one of the knobs on a pedal with a foot-treadle. On the Behringer, the exp pedal controls the LFO speed in the LFO modes, and controls the freq knob on the other modes.

I much preferred the Behringer to the Digitech personally

6. Behringer actually invented something... Wow!;)

7. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I just picked up a BSY600 on a whim. I have found that it is very dependent on input signal. It seems to track MUCH better with my hotter output basses, and gets all squirelly with a lower signal feeding it. I found a few sweet sounds pretty quickly, but would not consider gigging with it. The on/off switching function is not very consistent. It gets confused between turning off, and going into the hold function. good luck......

8. Flaming

Flaming

Jun 14, 2012
    Thanks for your replys.
    I think i'm going for the digitech. Seems to me a get more quality and joy out of that.

9. TomA1234

TomA1234

Jul 27, 2009
    Fareham, England
    Don't let the plastic casing of the Behringer fool you, it is pretty tough. The bypass switch can be a little temperamental, but mine tends to work best if you give it a quick tap with your heel rather than your toe.

10. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph provider Supporting Member

+1

The BSW can also double as a decent filter, filter & octave and octave alone pedal.

11. tjnkoo

tjnkoo

Apr 19, 2011
    Metro Atlanta
    In my experience the Digitech was unreliable, and I've urged people to stay away from them. I had two, both broke in a short period of time. I don't know about the Behinger, but it hopefully is a little more reliable at least. The Boss synth pedal you might want to check out. My replacement for the Digitech when the second broke was a EHX Bass Micro Synth. Amazing pedal. Versatile, easy enough to figure out, and few weeks later it still turns on (something I couldn't say about the Digitechs). I would go Behringer of digitech if it was between those two any day.

12. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    My vote goes to the Digitech. Great pedal. Well built. Excellent value. Oh yeah, and it sounds pretty good too!

13. xxx666

xxx666

Jan 12, 2008
    Australia
    Endorsing Artist G&L Guitars
    You don't play bass in MUSE do you ?!?

14. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    To the OP's needs/wants: BSY-600 all the way. You need dubstep: add the BSY with an expression pedal. Also I've owned both and LOVE me some synth sounds and the BSY-600 smokes the BSW.

15. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    After a few days of exploring my BSY600, I hooked up an expression pedal and was very happy with the change. It still needs a nice hot input, but the expression pedal has tightened up the tracking, somehow.

In most modes it controls the frequency sweep, but it also seems to disable the decay. Feels much tighter, more connected to the input signal, instead of wandering off on it's own.....

Highly recommended for this synth pedal.

JBY

16. To keep bandwidth low, I'll just add to this thread. I am also considering a cheap synth for spacey type noises with a feedback looper and to also be used independent of the looper. I play mostly big old rock and roll and dive into psychadelic parts occasionally. Need something to make crazy sounds and then be a good synth too.

I am comparing the Behringer bass synth to the older Ibanez bass synth. I didn't even think about the digitech. The pedal would live on my board, so not too concerned with plastic, but I don't expect a metal box in this price range.

I am thinking the Behringer will win. Please advise.

17. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Roots and fifths and a little extra. Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    I play trip-hop mostly. Atmospheric, lo-fi stuff. And funk. But I really, really love a lot of electronic pop groups like Venus Hum. I have been on a mission to get effects that give me sounds I like and/or need. I quickly decided that most good synth pedals were either too flawed or too expensive or too out of production or a combination of all three.

I tried to become happy with an MXR envelope filter and had my eye on their octaver for a good combo. (Great effects, by the way.) But it just wasn't going far enough.

That's when I got the Digitech Bass Synth Wah. On the positive side: it has bonus effects like the octave and a standard envelope filter. And some of the synth effects are cool. Negative side: many of the sounds you get when dialing those knobs are not very usable.

I then started noticing Source Audio and the cool stuff they were doing in the area of dubstep. I got me a multiwave bass distortion, incredible effect. If you aren't familiar with it go to youtube now and watch the demos. I ended up getting their envelope filter, too. Now I barely plug in my BSW. But I'm still hungry for new ways to get great sounds. maybe I'll fire it up again.

Or maybe I'll get rid of it and get that Behringer unit. For $50 it's hard to go wrong, right?