Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pedal to emulate bass&rythym gtr

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bottomfeeder, Nov 11, 2004.

1. bottomfeeder

bottomfeeder

Dec 24, 2001
    Chicago
    Playing in 3 piece, Im looking for a pedal I can kick in to emulate an added rythym guitar while the guitar player is soloing or when a song just needs some extra beef. Im wanting something that lets the natural bass sound through, and also layers on some distortion(perhaps an octave above). Can anybody suggest a pedal that may work well for this application? Thanks......

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Akai Unibass is designed expressly for that purpose.

3. Rowka

Rowka Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    What he said.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yup, Unibass it is. Unfortunately not made anymore, keep an eye on the classifieds and da bay

5. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    I have a Unibass, but the next best thing I've been able to find is the new Boss OC-3 octave pedal. It has a distortion mode that doesn't sound too bad (in a band context), although the distortion is added to the sub signal AND the original signal. It's the best alternative I've found in a single pedal, but nothing really nails that like the Unibass....

Some people have had good luck with some of the fancier botique octave- up fuzz pedals, so you might want to look at some of those too.

6. you need to talk to tim commerford :p

7. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    This is actually a question I've had too...in a 3 piece and I hit my Boss OD pedal during the solos the fill up the space. I have been thinking about an octave pedal...my question is, if I activated an ocatve unit, maybe with a little distortion, you guys think I should be looking at an octave up or an octave down? I would think, since my low end would still be there, adding distortion, with an octave up would be more similar to the missing guitar tone. Thoughts?

Duh...sorry guys, after reading about the Unibass, I see that's exactly what it does....opinions though are still welcome :p

8. The BOSS ME-50B has a distortion effect called Hi-Band Drive which adds a octave UP and Distorts it. It was specifically designed to sound like a regular clean bass and distirted rythm guitar playing at the same time.

If you can find the video demo of the ME-50B, you'll be able to hear it. I'll try and record some samples of it later on.

9. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    No, the hi-band drive on the ME-50B only applies distortion to the higher frequencies leaving the low end unaffected. It doesn't add an octave up and distort that.