1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pedal to get close to the bass tone on Truth and Beck-ola

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jim C, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I have never really liked a fuzz box for bass (as some of you get the gasoline and flares ready). :ninja:

Just re-listened to Truth and Beck-ola and would like to have the ability to get close to this tone.
    Sounds to me that Ronnie Wood is using flat wounds (and maybe a J bass) and the distortion could be a small tube guitar or bass amp. Have a vision that it's something like a twin reverb and a DI.

Currently using either an SVT-CL or 3 Pro with flats, J bass, and Berg322 or 1x15 cab.

Is a VT a good choice, and, any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

2. '68 Telecaster Bass.

3. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Oh come on; I know some of you old hippies remember Jeff Back, Ronnie Wood, and Rod Stewart from back in the day; and I know you have opinions about bass tone.
    Help a brother find some dirt for his soul thang.

4. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    On Beck-ola you're talking about tracks like Spanish Boots and Jailhouse Rock, yes? If you could specify the track names that helps. But at any rate, have you tried a Fulltone Bass-Drive? I've owned, well, dozens of dirtboxes, and that's the one I'd recommend to you for the tone I heard on those tracks. Which is a very nice tone by the way.

5. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    the tones on Truth sound like Ronnie definately used a pick. I'd say flatwounds too. Fender jazz or maybe humbuckers (gibson eb0, eb3, fender tele)

the slight grind just sound like a tube amp right before breakup. i didn't hear any fuzz on Truth.

6. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Song list for both CD's as follows:
    Track listing
    1. Shapes Of Things
    2. Let Me Love You
    3. Morning Dew
    4. You Shook Me
    5. Ol' Man River
    6. Greensleeves
    7. Rock My Plimsoul
    8. Beck's Bolero
    9. Blues Deluxe
    10. I Ain't Superstitious
    11. All Shook Up
    12. Spanish Boots
    13. Girl From Mill Valley
    14. Jailhouse Rock
    15. Plynth (Water Down The Drain)
    16. Hangman's Knee
    17. Rice Pudding

Agreed that he plays with a pick and never knew Ronnie played bass on these songs; what a great all around player.
    I don't think they used a box and that it was a distorted tube amp although perhaps not a bass amp.
    I can get close enough to the bass tone but wanted to be able to get that type of distortion for live use through my current rig.
    Know a little something about basses and amps, but nothing about overdrive / distortion boxes for bass.

7. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Right, like I said look into that Fulltone Bass-Drive Mosfet. That's the bass overdrive/distortion pedal I'd recommend for you if you're looking for that tone. That or an Electro Harmonix English Muff'n, which is a 60's style tube preamp that does vintage tube preamp grind very well, and is very dynamic, like the overdrive/distortion on the tunes I've heard off of those albums.