Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pedal to mimic "slapping"?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bobcruz, Aug 21, 2004.

1. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    Alameda, CA
    Hi everyone, I'm an amateur teaching myself various styles and if there's a pedal that mimics the sound of slapping, it could help me get by until I get proficient at the real thing. Any recommendations? Thanks!

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    nope, no such thing
    i would like to see a pedal that made chronic slappers sound like they were playing fingerstyle for once in their lives :D

3. well, you can get a midi setup, for about 1300 dollars for the pickup, the conversion box, and the sound bank...

i think it'd be easier (and cheaper!) to learn the technique

Charlie

4. plumby1

plumby1

Aug 21, 2004
    theres an effect on the digitech bp200 called "slappin" its ok but nothing compared to the real sound

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Why do people seem to think there's a pill or gadget to get things done? :confused:

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The Roland GR-20's $600, and has some (admittedly awful) slap bass patches. You'll have to wait for a while until the firmware upgrade for the bass pickup is available.

I'd suggest refraining from using the technique (or the sound) in a live or performance situation until you *absolutely* have to use it. Bass players have a tendency to want to use it all the time - honestly, 99% of the time, it doesn't sound that good.

7. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    you haven' t seen these then I take it. Check the bass fx link

http://www.angelfire.com/yt3/redtele/

PS. Theres an 'autoslap' festure in the GT6B. It's pretty lame tho, more of an arppegiator than anything else. There's a good preset for the backwards bass riff in 'sweet emotion' tho.

8. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I don't get it either. Slapping isn't that hard to learn if you are willing to practice a little. If you aren't willing to practice, then no box in the world will make you sound good.

9. yes, i ordered the Intermittent Shorter just last week!

Charlie

10. scratch compressor off a pedal, write slap on it in crayon....mmmmmm..placebo effect

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That's what I think about most of these forums.....hmmm, I need to practice really....nah! I'll just go and buy something instead...that'll make me a better bass player!! ;)

12. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    :D I know people like this - slapping for slapping's sake. I refer to them as the "Bucket-ar-Bucket-ar" brigade.

Bob, learn to slap. It's a great technique. But like any technique, it's really just a tool, and you shuold always use the right tool for the right job. You can drive a screw into a piece of wood with a hammer if you really want to, but you're better off using a screwdriver right? Slapping is the same. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It's seriously good fun though!

13. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    A "Slap" pedal? Would that be the same as a "Suck" pedal?

14. i find that offensive..wheres amod when you need one? :D ...nah slapping is 50% of my overall technique, focus whatever you wanna say

15. Bruce Lindfield

They're all the same and best avoided!! ;)

16. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    My pedal board has 6 talent boosters on it. I have three running at all times, and when I take a solo I stomp on two more. I only use the sixth booster if there is another bass player in the crowd. Works well, only bad experience was when the battery went out on my talent booster during my solo. I'm saving up to buy two more so I can do a Vic Wooten/Michael Manring tribute act.

17. Bruce Lindfield

You just need to make sure you're plugged into the mains electricity - sticking a finger in the socket is probably best advice for newbies! You don't want to be let down, when a superstar crosses your path eh? ;)

18. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I wouldn't want to risk damaging my fingers in the electric socket so I use a screwdriver instead. ;)

19. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I loathe this pedal and would advise you steer away from it. It's a tone sucker with horrible sounding effects. Ech :spit:

20. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    For me that effect doesnt make it sound like slapping, it seems to be just an effect that equalizes your sound a little whilst slapping. IME

The BP200 sucks a whole lotta tone though, and i dont really use it much, i just got it to sample some effects and see what kind of stomp boxes i might wanna buy in the future.