1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pedal to record/playback short sequencer/synth loop part?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by obimark, Apr 5, 2015.

1. obimark

obimark

Sep 1, 2011
    My band wants to do Eminence Front by the Who. I am wondering has anyone had any success recording a short synth/sequencer part with a pedal and than triggering it live? I basically want to record the 30 second sequencer part and play it back live when we do the song (we don't have any keyboards in my band)
    Thanks in advance.

2. gsquare

gsquare Pedal Breeders' BIGBoardClub#104;CabronitaClub#8 Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Peoria, AZ
    Record it mono on the left track and record a reference click on the right track, route the ref to your ears and the keyboard part to the mains. Unless your band plays in perfect tempo all night, every night, it will be hard to trigger a part and have it sound seamless. But you can play exactly in time, which will happen all night, every night if you can play to a click. Then you can start cheating more than just the occasional sequenced parts by adding sweetening your vocal harmonies, thickening your guitars with layered tracks, all the stuff the big boys do when you go to a concert and say "holy crap, that sounds huge!!!!" Next thing you know, you'll have a mac laptop running multitrack software like Ableton live and showing up to the gig high on dope because you don't have to play your instrument anymore.

It always starts with an innocent little keyboard part... (sigh)

There's a few different ways to do it, but a two track (reference and program) solution will get you there with stuff you probably already own.

obimark likes this.
  3. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    If you want to trigger it live with your feet, almost any looper pedal will work.

Or record it in stereo with a click onto your phone like gsquare suggested and do it that way.

gsquare likes this.
  4. gsquare

gsquare Pedal Breeders' BIGBoardClub#104;CabronitaClub#8 Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Peoria, AZ
    by the way, the Akai Head Rush looper has been going for under $75 on ebay within the last few weeks, brand new, free shipping. Not sure if you can store loops and pull them back after powering down and back up again, but it might be worth finding out, I'm sure you can download the manual.

obimark likes this.
  5. obimark

obimark

Sep 1, 2011
    I was looking at the Ditto Looper- not sure if that one saves the loop either after power down.
    I have worked out a close approximation of the keyboard part and can play it on my bass in the high register. I guess Ditto Looper only saves one loop as well (hence the more expensive models)...

6. PunkRocker33133

PunkRocker33133 Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Northern VA
    The EHX 360 looper is MXR sized and holds 11 loops. I love mine

gsquare likes this.

7. Ditto saveth not the loop post power down.

obimark likes this.
  8. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    I use a Jam Man Solo XT to trigger WAV samples. Works great for sound bites, SFX and anything not requiring a click track. However, I bought the FSX3 expansion pedal for greater control. For example to stop a sample or loop playing without the FSX3, you need to step on the Jam Man twice but with the expansion pedal you only need to step on the button once.

obimark likes this.
  9. obimark

obimark

Sep 1, 2011
    Interesting, so no memory at all.