1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pedal to rplace my Big Muff?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by KingOvHell, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Anyone got any ideas. I was looking at the Digitech Death Metal. Or i might want to use another distortion pedal with my Big Muff. Would any sound any good or is one enough?

2. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    What do you like and dislike about the Big Muff or any other pedals you've tried, and what type of music you're playing (Death Metal by any chance?)? The more info you give us the better, otherwise people are just gonna recommend random pedals!

3. I am playing mostly black metal and the big muff just doesnt seem to be enough. I want less of a fuzz sound but not an overdrive. i have a ODB-3 and dont care for the sound.

4. I saw in another post of yours that you had the Big Muff and the Boss ODB. For a little while I was running the ODB BEFORE a black muff and had them both going at the same time. The best way to describe the sound was that it had that messyness of the muff, but the ODB helped to keep the notes clear sounding. So maybe try putting the ODB before the muff and running them at the same time.

The other day I placed an order for an Earthbound Supercollider. From the clips I've heard and from everything I've read, it's similar to the muff, but it has way more versatility and can get a lot of different sounds out of it. You can search "supercollider" on here and find the thread with clips and stuff.

5. What settings did you use for the ODB-3?

6. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Joe P was running a similar setup with the Diesel Dawg and the ODB-3

7. Something like

Balance: 2 o'clock
    Gain: 3 o'clock or higher
    I'd always tweak the bass and treble knobs but somewhere between 12 and 2.

The muff was set at something like...

Tone: between 12 and 2
    Sustain: Eh, same as above.

They then went into my GEB-7, which I have set with lots of mids. Probably not the sound you'd be looking for with black metal, plus I saw in another thread of yours that you had your mids scooped. Probably for a punchy sound and all that.

I'd say just experiment like crazy with the ODB and your Muff, put the ODB before the muff, screw with settings, or leave it after the muff and do the same thing. Maybe you'll find something that works for you. If you can't get something you like out of using those two together, then I'd say get yourself a new pedal.

8. Do you guys think Boss GEB-7 > Digitech Metal master > Digitech Death Metal would work? Or is that too much? I am looking for quite a bit of distortion.

9. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    cheap, highly distorted, and good for black metal type tones:

Digitech Grunge FX69B

you can usually get'em for about $20-$25 so if you don't like it no big loss.

10. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    A DOD FX69 is loud and very distorted but will give you an over-compressed, low-end-less sound. Most guitarists I know who love it won't use it live. UNLESS you circuit bend it which brings back low end and takes away that extreme compression (think I have a picture of the wiring I did -- very simple).

DOD Bass Grunge is like a BMP but with much more control -- I love mine.

I'm still not really sure what the OP is after though. If you want metal distortion, generally you want to either completely cut through the mix or replace the rhythm guitar via a wall of noise ( perhaps both?). But it sounds to me like KingOvHell wants to have his cake and eat it too. Is that right or am I way off base here?

11. neonrust

neonrust

Jul 25, 2008
  12. I just got a Digitech -Humphreys Audio Mods- Badder BASS MONKEY-the modded Digitech Tube overdrive-after using the Big muff-russian version- for years & I think I'm gonna get ridda the BMUFF!!!! This thing is great Check a search for Badder bass monkey-or see my reviews for more details- but it has HEAPS of OD- I'd almost say it's a Distortion /fuzz- It does a darn good impersonation of a tube amp CRANKED -NASTY grinding ragged distortion-& the mods make it have HEAPS of bottom end AND it aint expensive!!! Best feature (apart from not losing any ass end) IMO is being able to turn UP the gain without the LEVEL(volume) going up too. U set the level, & whether the gain is on 1 or 10 it's the same volume!-I'm playing classic rock & some old sch. metal & I use it all the time-ON always-just up the gain sumtimes-but it usually stays around 2/10 as that gives a nice dirty signal, turning up to 8-10 gives a ragged rasp-similar to the Big Muff-but less sustain & clearer!

13. phatbass30

phatbass30

Dec 24, 2006
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Groove is in the heart!!!
    muff replacement? Supercollider! i got the small box version with the mid knob. this little pedal sound huge! i love it! IMHO of course.

14. GabeN

GabeN

Feb 27, 2006
    Chugiak, AK
    Bass Big Muff?

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021