1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pedal to thicken up a 3 peice band??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kmk42019, Feb 22, 2008.

1. kmk42019

kmk42019

Aug 14, 2006
    Baltimore
    What is a good pedal to thicken up parts when the guitarist plays solos, or add an overall full sound to the band? We are a cover band. A last resort would be getting a rhythm guitar player but Id rather not. I have a compressor, and phaser already and I have a MXR blowtorch and boss bass chorus on its way.

2. i2k

i2k

Oct 31, 2000
    Indonesia
    Alex Lifeson or Rush uses lot of chorus & delay and his sound is huge. A good delay set with very low delay time will be able to thicken bass sound.
    But for me, the most important part is a good bass player & drummer to fill those empty spots.

3. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Just get more speakers. A lot more speakers. When your guitarist's ears begin to bleed, you know you've almost got enough. It really thickens things up IME.

4. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Yeah I'd say the volume knob, and play something interesting. I use a lot of chords.

I used to use an octave pedal to fill up space in an old band of mine, worked pretty well.

5. +1 on playing some chords. Fuzz works well to fill in spots, chorus too.

6. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    Yup. Play more, get a little busy and cover more ground while the guitarist does strange things.

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    a little compression, phasing and dirt does it for me. I also use a little slap back delay.

8. Start at the beginning....

Make sure your bass tone is quite full on stage as well as in the house mix. A $5k bass rig won't do any good if you don't sound balanced through the PA. A good balance of lows / mids / highs. Then, adding a bit of processing, as listed above, might put your sound in heaven for the angels of groove.

9. I keep returning to the Fulltone Bassdrive, particularly on the comp cut setting which really fattens your sound without colouring tone and it is pretty versitile.

10. Ruoska

Ruoska

Nov 9, 2006
    Finland
    I'm actually looking for ideas to kinda play second guitar on the bass while also playing bass..I don't have much first hand knowledge on effects, only got a cheap chorus and had some mostly useless bass overdrives that I sold a long time ago.

We are also a d/g/b band so no second guitarist and don't want one either. Any good ideas to on how to duplicate the sound of a rhytm guitar on the bass while the guitarist solos or sings and can't play. Of course I can just play power chords on the D and G strings but then we lose bass. What would an octaver sound with distortion? I'm thinking, instead of trying all these mid range pedals I'll just get the one that sounds the best to me in the demo clips..the EBS Multidrive. All ideas are welcome, thank you =)

11. from the sounds of it, i think you might find the Akai Unibass useful, its an octave-up type pedal, but this it has TONNES of features:
    1. variable rate of overdrive/only the octave up signal is affected
    2. tone and gate settings for the octave/distortion sound
    3. 2nd footswitch operates 3 modes: can add a 4th down or a 5th up to the octave up, giving you a power chord ON TOP of your clean bass sound, or it can cut the original bass frequency and leave just the octave up tone (think Whole Lotta Love intro- then stomp the second footswitch again to kick the bass in underneath ur 'guitar')
    3. if you want, you can run ur clean bass to ur rig, and just run the effect to a separate guitar amp.

i used to own one for a while, but i was in a 2-guitar band already so never needed to use it, also i found the distortion a little overpowering and 'synthetic', i hear that many people like to link it to a separate guitar amp and then use that amp for distortion, or add a tubescreamer or something in that signal path to get a more natural guitar sound.
    Billy Cox (hendrix's bass player in Band of Gypsies) uses one for when his guitarist solos.

however, its not polyphonic, but can seem to handle 'stable' chords ok ie: 5ths, octaves. and its tracking is pretty good. i hear they're discontinued now, but thats happend quite recently i think (definitly more recently than the DEEP IMPACT) so you should be able to find one for a semi-reasonable price online (ebay, etc)

another option, without as many bells and whistles is the EHX MicroPOG (or better yet the mommy POG if u really wanna spend the cash)
    my microPOG tracks perfectly to my ears and will keep tracking perfectly no matter how low you want to tune, also its polyphonic so u can play chords, or if u play a fast note run and it gets a bit messy, u dont have to worry about the pedal spazzing out and randomly fluctuating between tones like monophonic octavers usually do, also it has two outputs one dry and one effect, so again you could run the 'effect out' into a guitar amp for a real guitar-like sound. oh and i forgot to mention: it has 3 controls - dry signal, oct-down(sub) and oct-up.

i run it at the end of my signal chain and run a distortion and an envelope filter into it for synthy goodness, but u could run it at the beginning, add distortion to the effect out (set it just with octave up) and use something like a Boss Line Selector to blend ur bass tone with the 'distorted guitar' tone to get the sound of two rigs in one (kinda).

i got some clips of my MicroPOG with my MXR Bass Blowtorch here:
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=803854&content=music

ps: if playback doesnt work for you, download the track to ur computer, thats what i always have to do.

hope this helps :)

12. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Are you using chord pieces, arpegios, and scales to spice things. As long as you come up for air on 1, you can do a lot in a 3 piece. I personally do not think you need effects as much as it is getting a good tone and doing some "overplaying". As suggested a little overdrive may help. For me, recording a lot my practice sessions has allowed me to analyze my lines to try to find that balance between overplaying and keeping the pocket tight. Also you can take practice session recordings and look for new lines.

Dave

13. yeah +1, an inventive playing style will ALWAYS be more interresting than just cool effects, but remeber, theres no reason u cant have ur cake, and eat it too :)

14. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis

Yeah I keep mine pretty simple too ...

VoodooBoarddoc.

:) ... The Micro Vibe adds some keyboard effect when I need it.

15. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I like the Aphex (SP?) Bass Exiter. It adds tons of umph to my sound. I don't own one, I have just used one.

16. Ruoska

Ruoska

Nov 9, 2006
    Finland
    Dude, I'm left speechless by the amount of information you managed to convey. Your post..no, your article (complete with the sound samples) is just everything I needed to know about an octaver =) Thanks!

17. its a pleasure to be a help to someone, god knows ive learnt so much from this forum :)
    hope u find what ur looking for.
    Theo Yiannaki

18. JKT

JKT

Apr 30, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Endorsing Artist: Barker Basses
    I too have been using octaver for filling in behind guitar solos since we went back to 5 pc. Good idea though about the reverb/delay. I'm gonna try that. For me I like to use effects in this way so that they remain effects and are not used all the time.

JKT

19. cacio

cacio

Apr 24, 2005
    Italy
    with my rock trio I use my sansamp programmable.
    these days i added a tc electronics vintage distortion to try to thicken up my parts under the solo,but i think i don't really need...my p is full sounding by itself.

20. I would suggest either an EQ pedal or a good phat overdrive depending on the song. I like to use my Boss ODB-3 to step it up a notch and thicken things up on heavier songs. Other times I will just use my Boss GEB-7 which is set-up to provide a bass/treb boost for slapping. It adds a lot of grunt to fingerstyle and supports the band while the guitarist is wanking off.