1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

pedal train pt-2: soft case or flight case???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by oldironsights, Apr 23, 2009.

1. oldironsights

oldironsights

Jun 13, 2008
    LAS VEGAS
    So Im looking at getting a pedaltrain pt-2 pedal board, but I have a few questions for the people that have them, the soft shell case is about $70 cheaper than the hardshell case. My concern is do your knobs get all bumped around and moved in the soft case??? And is the hardshell really worth the extra cash??? I currently use a home made board and every time I move it to play a show, I have to mess with all my levels (is really starting to piss me off, hence the new board)

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Old, if I could find a pedalboard that could prevent the knobs from ever getting disturbed, I'd buy it. I just don't ever see it happening. Maybe I'm wrong and I just don't know about it, but I don't see how it could make your stuff travel safely and not mush your knobs a little.

3. strke-fender

strke-fender

Feb 26, 2009
    i have the PT-2 with the hardshell case and i'm telling you its the nicest case ever. super heavy duty, very protected. my levels and settings haven't been moved yet and i've had it for over 3 months and moved it around very often. also i see it as investing to protect your expensive pedals from road rash and other stuff plus you can throw a masterlock on it and keep everything save and sound. i'd say spring for it.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Does the case's top touch the pedals? If not, how do the pedals stay in place? I mean, velcro works well, but would it really stand up to airline level abuse? ;)

5. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    Whenever flight cases are offered I go for them. I like max protection.

6. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    Flight case all the way. I have had a PT-Pro with both a softcase and a hardcase (two separate boards). The softcase tended to move the knobs because the top nylon part was able to shift around during normal car travel and would mess with my knobs. The hardcase has that egg crate foam on the inside cover that does not allow the pedals to shift around very much. I have had my hardcase for 5-6 months now and have not had a problem on any of my pedals staying where I set them.

7. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Your pedals can get abused and the knobs moved with the soft case. I'd only recommend a soft case over a hard one is if light weight is important (like me, I travel around on public transport with mine).

8. The knobs might move with the hardcase because the foam on top touches them and helps hold the board in place. Still, if you're gigging I'd definitely go hardcase. It's great to be able to toss it around and stack stuff on top of it and not worry about your expensive board being damaged.

9. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    My soft case has partially fallen apart after intensive gigging and transporting... and I'm only toting around a PT-Jr. :eek:

Definitely go for a hardcase if you can afford it!

10. asherthemachine

asherthemachine

Sep 22, 2006
    hard

11. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident

Mar 18, 2007
    Lausanne, Switzerland
    I have a hardcase, but the knobs on my pedals which are on the higher level always get twisted in it cause the foam of the top cover touches them :p

12. afroman

afroman Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    hard case for sure. The case is really good as is worth all of the PT2s price.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Hmmm...the case for the 2 says it's a "tour grade flight case" while the Pro's case says it's ATA approved. Does that mean the 2's case isn't ATA approved? That's a pretty important distinction as much as I fly.

14. +redundancy

hardshell all the way. honestly- i havent noticed much knob movement during transit- nothing drastic ever. i also throw an extension cord in the case- and that keeps it from moving around on the horizontal plane- and the top seals pretty tight- foam holds everything in place quite well. keep the board in place in the case and you wont have any problems.

edit:

hmm- hadnt noticed that. ive got an ac strip mounted underneath- and the wall warts take up a lot of the back row- and are at least taller than the pedals. maybe thats why i havent noticed knob movement. may not be a practical solution- but the thought came to mind.

15. afroman

afroman Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Both cases are supossed ot be the same. I know mine on the PT2 is the same quality as my ATA rack cases.