Pedal tuner vs. rackmount??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bennito, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Bennito

Sep 12, 2004
    Toronto, ON

I have a Boss pedal tuner that I've used for a number of years now and have had no problem with.

Is there any advantage to getting a rackmount tuner? What is so good about them?
  2. For all intents and porpoises, if you're using the Boss TU-2, you're fine. A rackmount tuner is going to "generally" more accurate. But the amount you might be off "in tune" is not going to be noticable to many ears. In other words, you may find yourself spending several minutes tuning to be "in tune" and not appreciably be able to tell the difference from your TU-2 with your ears.

Does that make sense?
  3. I see it more as a preference thing. If you have the boss tuner then you're in good shape because that is a great tuner. I have the DTR 1000 and the reason I went for a rackmount instead of a pedal tuner is because I can't see very well from certain distances and I would much rather tune at eye level. If any of your friends have one you should try to borrow it for a gig and see if you like it and if not just go back to using your own tuner.
  4. The main advantage for me is not having to haul around any pedals, or the batteries and extra cables that they require - and not having to worry about tripping over anything on stage.

And of course rack tuners look so much cooler. :D

Pedals do have their advantages too though, like when the soundman wants to take the D.I. from before the rack so you can't mute while tuning where you could've with the pedal.