1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pedal Tuner with Large Display

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Microbass, May 24, 2018.

1. I've done a search but didn't come up with much...

Currently have a a Boss TU2 which is still doing just fine for the most part - I've had a few blips where it can't pick up a string and has told me I'm intonated when I wasn't during set ups but that's a handful times since 2005.

Main issue is my eyesight continues to get worse and I'm beginning to struggle to see the display (even with contacts in).

What I'm after...
    • Pedal tuner - no clips on - I will lose it or it'll fall off
    • I don't want to add a rack - and I like the ability for the tuner to double as a mute pedal
    • The Korg PB Pro looks like it would be mounted on a board but I don't think it would have a mute facility?
    • Large a display as possible; main thing is to be able to see the note I'm aiming for; on the Boss I can see the red/green light OK (although the green & orange arrows could be bigger when I get intune)
    • I normally have a 10ft cable from my board to amp, and 10 or 20ft between bass + board. I believe the TU2 has a built in buffer so might be wise to continue having this?
    • My tuning range is standard, half step down and drop C#
    The pedal chain as it is currently is:
    Bass>tuner>compressor>octave>trem>Muff Nano>BDI>B3k>amp

Price range ideally under £100/$100 - so far the Pitchblack Custom seems to fit the bill.. Am I missing anything else?

Cheers!

Korladis likes this.
  2. jthisdell

jthisdell

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    I use a Korg Pitchblack, a few years old and probably most equivalent to the new Advanced Model. Very large display and easy to read.

Raw N Low, Flippy, zachoff and 4 others like this.
  3. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    This guy is large, cheap (to buy) and built like a tank. Works great with bass.

HT-6_Tune_large.png

4. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Any of the regular sized Polytune’s

5. Deak

Deak

Feb 28, 2016
    Kansas
    I'm using an Ibanez mini.
    Ibanez BigMini Tuner Pedal

Small footprint, mutes when activated, big display, and a great price. It serves my tuning needs with no problems.

BasementWarrior likes this.
  6. Jebberz

Jebberz Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    JeffC23 likes this.
  7. TheLopp

TheLopp

Dec 30, 2013
  8. Jebberz

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    You could add a footswitch to the Korg PB pro to mute if needed

9. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    Pitchblack standard?

10. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    Plenty of choices...

TC Electronic Polytune, Korg Pitchblack, the Digitech, etc.

I have an old Korg DT-10 on a (guitar) board that would burn your eyes out if you looked at it too long. :D

Microbass likes this.
  11. Kriegs

Kriegs

Feb 14, 2018
    +1 for Polytune. Huge, bright display that is clear and hard to miss at any distance :thumbsup:
    hqdefault.jpg

12. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    That's a rack-style tuner

The original Kong Pitchblack PB-1 for me. Already has mute/kill switch. Runs on battery or your 9V pedal supply

1.jpg

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  13. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
  14. Barticus

Barticus Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2017
    Midwest
    Love my Polytune... The strobe is cool for quick tune in the dark

Kriegs likes this.
  15. Thanks for the suggestions guys!
    My guitarist uses the Polytune, not too keen the dot matrix displays as it just kind looks like mush to me! Need more carrots...

I think Pitchblack Custom pedal might the way forward, as much as the Pro looks great - hard to justify the space after adding a footswitch for the mute function since it's already taking up a good bit of space - it appears to have the most solid colouring!

Or maybe I should just get a rack, throw in a Sansamp and some other strange FX.. :)

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  16. Jebberz

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    I think not, it was made to be put on the floor or on a pedalboard and have a large display, visible from far (without my glasses, just at my foot is far for me to see...). There is even no option to rackmount it so... To bad its discontinued, but I guess it was too large to sell enough.

17. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Does anybody really want that thing on a pedal board or on the floor? You'd trip over it. The OP wants pedal board style tuners.

18. I've had the Korg PB for years, great for downtuning bass

knumbskull likes this.
  19. Kriegs

Kriegs

Feb 14, 2018
    Not according to Boss :thumbsup:
    upload_2018-5-24_11-6-55.png

20. trofud

trofud

Mar 28, 2018
    Montreal, Canada
    Pitchblack for me, and tough piece of gear too. I use it as a mute also, it gets clicked quite often during gigs/rehearsals.

knumbskull and Coolhandjjl like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021