Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pedal tuner

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by vivaknoxvegas, Feb 12, 2003.

1. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    In your opinion, what is the best pedal tuner?

I have a Boss TU-2 (I think it is) and it just bounces around notes so much it drives me nuts. I am not too happy with it's accuracy.

Thanks.

2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    The best pedal tuner is the Boss TU-2, no contest.

I don't know why yours would be that jumpy, most will tell you it's a super tuner. Your comment "I think it is" sort of makes me say go check what brand and model the tuner actually is, because a TU-2 really should work quite well.

3. The TU-2 really is probably the best pedal tuner on the market. IMO it is the most accurate and least "jumpy". I would say either yours is busted or its not a Tu-2 (how much was it)...

4. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Yup, I'll third that -

Boss TU-2 - best peice of kit I own. I got all the rest of the players in my band to get one as well (except the drumbler).

DD

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The TU-2 is the best / most accurate tuner I've used. The fact that doubles as a mute switch is icing on the cake for me.

I've never experienced the problems you're having. How loud is the output from your bass? Does the volume level make any difference to the jumping around you're experiencing?

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Try this with your TU-2;

- When you tune, for instance your D string, use your fingers to mute your A and G strings.
    I have a super-resonant bass where the other strings vibrate if I so much as look at them. Tuning with the TU-2 can drive me nuts when it has to be done instantly onstage. This really helps get the tuning nailed down quickly.

If you have an active bass that can go passive, that can help too.

7. The TU-2 should not be jumpy if you tune your bass by using 12th fret harmonics and have some patience after you hit the harmonic so you can see exactly what pitch the string is resonating at, especially if you use dropped tuning. If its still jumpy after doing this buy a new tuner, or bass, or both.

8. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I have a TU-2 for sure and I have a passive bass but it was the same when I had my stingray.

I tune c#, g#, c#, f#. The low c# gives me the most bounce.

Is there a certain method to tuning? I guess I have never asked this question. I have always just hit strings and made the best of it.

9. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Hands down the TU2 Heck I dropped mine down a flight of stairs and it still works perfect! One of the best pedals Boss ever made.

10. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Yeah. Mute the strings that you're not playing; otherwise the overtones will confuse the tuner if you're tuning, and the audience if you're performing.

11. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

12. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    The Korg pedal looks nice. I couldn't find "true bypass" in the specs though.

13. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Hmmm, I remember reading that somewhere...Oh well, don't believe all you read!:D