1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pedal videos.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by biggs1249, Apr 23, 2009.

1. So I have noticed that a lot of you guys on this board have a lot of sweet pedals, and sweet boards. YET, there is a distinct lack of videos demonstrating effects on bass. I wanna see some videos of some of these boards in action. Multiple effects, boutique pedals, rare pedals, Live uses of the pedals (if your guitarist lets you use em), pedal combos you like, guitar pedals on bass... where is this stuff?

so put your pedals where your mouth is. or your mouth where your money used to be? or put your videos where your pedals are and where your money used to be....
    what else you guys got to do?

resentfully yours
    -Andrew

2. There are tons of efx vids on youtube. Granted they're usually on guitar...

3. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    YouTube!

I can't afford a camera cos I spend all my money on pedals! Buy me one and I'll film myself making funny noises.

4. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    You said it. Bryan R. Tyler is a great source for this, but really the only one. The few fuys from EHX and stuff are either super short, or gui****s playing bass.

Bryan, help!

5. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    No.

6. CliffD

CliffD

Jan 27, 2008
    San Diego/Seattle
    Last I checked this is an effects forum, not a videographer forum. Asking for sound samples of pedal is understandable, but video samples? Dude c'mon...lame.

7. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Feel better?

8. Pedal videos are way better and easier than sound samples. you have to open a separate files for every sound, and you don't know how the knobs are set, how they respond, how interactive they are. You can see everything you want to know about a pedal from a good video, with the knobs being turned in real-time.

how about a "Dude c'mon" about your forum aggression.

9. CliffD

CliffD

Jan 27, 2008
    San Diego/Seattle
    Dudes, sorry you thought my post was aggressive, I just thought your op was lame.

10. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    My guitarist doesn't let me make videos.

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've decided that I'm too awesome to make any more video demos, and the world will have to live in eternal squalor in my absence.

That or I blew all my dough on my last bass and had to sell a couple pedals before getting reviews up and am still broke. As soon as I get some cash back to get some more, I'll demo them. First one I'd like to get back is the EHX Bass Big Muff. After that, I have no clue.

Is anyone interested in seeing a demo of the Musicomlab EFX II pedal switching system? It's not an effect pedal, but it works with them by allowing you to make up to 125 presets of up to eight pedal combinations as well as MIDI patches.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yeah, he didn't mean to be aggressive, it's just that you suck ;)

j/k...just goofing on Cliff's general silliness.

I couldn't care whether they use clips or videos, but dammit, why do people use their horrible cam mics and not even attempt to get the sound quality halfway decent? And the first half of their videos is buzzing sounds, followed by clumsy clanking as they throw their bass on, then more buzzing, clicking on pedals, a little more buzzing, and finally you hear faint bass sounds through the din.

13. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer

Feb 25, 2006
    Kent UK
    A lot of the pedal demos I have seen seem to be like that.

It would probably be a lot more use if someone just recorded a couple of licks then played the recordings back through the pedal on various settings with pedal off then pedal on. All the video would really need to show is the pedal with it's settings clearly shown and the occasional hand or boot turning it on and off.

I like this pedal demo...

Burford Electronics - Techno Lo Fi Fuzz Effects pedal.

It is a gui**** pedal and they have n't shown the foot or hand coming in to the screen and the pedal settings for each sound. However, you can hear clearly what difference the pedal makes to the sound when it is switched in...

14. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    Had I any decent recording gear, I'd set up some videos of my effects. Alas, unless someone local has some good recording gear, I'm not gonna be able to produce anything except the crappy digital camera videos with the piss-poor sound quality which would render the purpose of the video as pointless. :atoz:

15. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I've done loads of videos for Tone Factor not all of them are online yet.

Here we have a soundclip database I feel there is nothing to gain from seeing a pedal sit there, especially when alot of these videos are recorded using crappy camera mic's I take my sound and video separately and personally I don't see what video offers over just a sound clip.